gas smell?

Bacondoggy

ok, everytime I fill the car up, and then get out, I smell ALOT of gas and I am pretty sure it is comming from the gas tank. anyone know what to replace and how hard it is to take out?

While the tank and filler neck assembly are natural suspects, which can be checked for 'wetness' from raw fuel leaks, there are others that can be checked as well. Be sure to open the hood and look over the injectors and fuel rails as part of your inspections.

Do you know how to check the 'canister purge' circuit/device (front/passenger side of engine bay...inside the fender as I recall)?

The fuel filter is under the car, behind the passenger seat. You might want to take a quick look...

Is the gas cap itself in good shape? Three clicks when tightening down? Are you topping off when refueling?

Has the car been in an accident lately?

All of these can contribute to what you're experiencing.

Last edited:
car has not been in an accident.

the fuel smell is strong, but not comming from the front - more in the side (where are rear quarter panels are)

I replaced te fuel filter alittle while back, and its not there.

no visible signs on the tank leaking, at least under the car anyways.

I assume the only way to check is to take the tank out? Mine as well get another fuel pump in there while I am at it - any reccomendations? I see them like this on ebay - are these what I should get?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL-PUMP-Ford-Thunderbird-SC-Turbocoupe-Turbo-255-LPH_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a552Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem160278316128QQitemZ160278316128

Also, should I get a newer style gas tank too? what years work, and what is a fair price at a junkyard for one? Thanks alot guys!

I had a fuel smell only if I filled it more than halfway. Turned out that when I swapped in a new pump, the o-ring got pinched and was causing it to leak a bit.

That pump looks to be a Chinese knock off. I would stay away and look for a genuine Walbro 255lph pump. I bought a summit brand pump about 6 years ago and when I opened the box, it was a Walbro pump. It was for a Mustang, but changing out the filter to the Tbird one was all that was needed.

Mine is the same way. I get a gas smell around the rear quarter panels... I always thought it was just common with our cars, and that everyone's were like that. :rolleyes: It ok. It's only on a full tank, after a few miles are put on the new tank of gas, the smell goes away.

The gasket around the fuel pump is most likely the culprit.....:rolleyes:

It could be ruptured and letting raw fuel to spill out of the tank when it is filled up.....

It will eventually melt the plastic fuel pump connecters if you let go on for too long.....:eek:

For safeties sake, get it fixed ASAP.....

You don't want to burn your car up....:eek:

Fuel smell after filling up

I had the same problem with my '90 SC when I got it.
I would always "top off" after the automatic shutoff.
I stopped doing that, & the problem went away!!:)

Jeff
Columbus, Ohio

who has the best deal on the fuel pumps? I assume you need to take the tank out to change the pump, or get to it? Do I need to take the back seat out, and do anything there, or? I assume the gaskets come with the fuel pump?

The back seat stays where it is. The back half of the exhaust needs to come out. You will probably have to unbolt the trans tunnel brace to do that. Then take out the exhaust heat shield and lower the tank. If you have an older-model tank, there is a vent hose running over the driveshaft. So you need to remove that while the tank is partway down. Also, you must remove the filler neck and vent hose. This is completely simple in theory, but the hose clamps are sometimes at very awkward angles. A small, perhaps 8mm, ratcheting wrench might help with those. Once that is all disconnected, then you should be able to drop the tank competely, remove the fuel and vapor lines, and slide it on out.

... There was a really good write-up on Rich Thomson's MN12Performance website, but that is down now. Some Thunderbird club out there (Cincinnati maybe?) has a mirror of it up on their site. Try to find that.

Last edited:
Back