PDA

View Full Version : Favorite car movie?

KMT
09-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Pick one from the list of ten...

Melon
09-04-2008, 07:30 PM
If I can only pick one, I gotta go with the Bandit.

Next would be Gone in 60 seconds :)

-Melon

Evan_90SC
09-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Which Gone in 60 Seconds are we talking about here? The original one or new one?

KMT
09-04-2008, 10:22 PM
'Gone in 60 - 2000'

Evan_90SC
09-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Alright, then it's Gone in 60 Seconds for me. :)

superdadsc
09-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Bullit with Steve Mcqueen, love that chase scene. Stephen

MadMikeyL
09-05-2008, 01:21 AM
Of those choices, I would have to pick Smokey and the Bandit. Of course, you missed a whole bunch of classics, like Death Race 2000, Cannonball Run, Duel, Christine, Mad Max, and The Wraith to name a few.

XR7-4.6
09-05-2008, 01:31 AM
i picked bullit, i had a hard time deciding between that and smokey and the bandit for those choices.

KMT
09-05-2008, 01:39 AM
"First you bitch about the baby - then you bitch 'cause we're not married!"

>Death Race 2000, Cannonball Run, Duel, Christine, Mad Max, and The Wraith to name a few.

And Gumball Rally, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, Blues Brothers, Thunder Road, Hollywood Knights, Corvette Summer, Road Warrior, Ronin, Viva Las Vegas, The French Connection, Tucker, The Italian Job, Greased Lightning, California Kid...

With a maximum of only 10 selections per poll, the burden is on you to put your own poll up if you don't like the choices here :)

But, hey - you could have 100 and someone would still whine like a dried out M90.

sinhumane
09-05-2008, 10:11 AM
DAYS OF THUNDER!!!!! its the only car movie in the list with an mn12 (sortof) in it.... :)

Staind503
09-05-2008, 02:54 PM
i would love to slap anyone who picks the fast and the furious. vin diesel is such a douche

garsc
09-05-2008, 04:05 PM
DAYS OF THUNDER!!!!! its the only car movie in the list with an mn12 (sortof) in it.... :)

Ive seen that movie a dozen times,Where did YOU see a mn12? :confused:

David Neibert
09-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Vanishing Point (loved the Challenger)....followed by Bullit (loved the Charger).

David

Flip
09-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Vanishing Point hands down from that list.

Dangle
09-06-2008, 01:29 AM
Great Poll.

I'm a big fan of car movies, and own alot of the ones listed.

I agree that Vin Bio Diesel is a douche, so that one is out.

Bullit I always considered a classic, and McQueen a legend. The chase scene is without a doubt one of the best. It's real and in '68 they weren't faking it.
but the movie as a whole a little weak...out

Think of a movie the has Burt Reynolds, Roger Moore, Farrah Fawcett, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr....How could you go wrong? NO! Cannonball Run was straight up a crap movie, and brought Jackie Chan to the world of cinema, to further spew crap films...out

Vanising Point was about a guy (Kowalski) who had a cool car as mentioned, and tried to drive from Denver to San Fran in 15hrs. Pops some pills, meets a wierdo in the desert, and tries to drve through a bull dozer with the sun in his eyes.....out

Days of Thunder was my favorite car movie when I was younger, it came out in a time when Tom Cruise was cool and could convince the audience that a guy named Cole Trickle who knew sweet F.A. about cars could win Daytona 500 on pure talent alone.

Smokey and the Bandit is top of the list. Burt is King as he wheels his 400 big block TA. Sally Fields, Jackie Gleason and Jerry Reed... whats not to like about a smart ~~~ cowboy burning rubber. The movie is about driving, and... moving a truck load of beer while out running the cops!...perfect in it's entirety

Smokey two and three get progressivley worse. In number III Burt's not even in the movie and Jerry is drivin' around with a pig sittin' shot gun.

Other good driving movies missed in the above posts are "Death Proof" and "Talladega Nights"...

Miller
09-06-2008, 02:08 PM
theres a tbird in gone in 60 seconds during the chase scene.

kenewagner
09-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Vanishing Point (loved the Challenger)....followed by Bullit (loved the Charger).

David

DITTO:D

Ken

ben m
11-11-2008, 07:51 PM
i picked gone in 60 cause of the first one! my fav SC in a movie is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang! awesome movie, t-bird gets tons of screen time too!

thirdbird
11-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Blues Brothers.

Mikessupercoupe
11-12-2008, 01:30 PM
I picked Bullitt than Vanishing point. Who played in "Gone in 60 seconds" ? The first one I don't remember that movie.

Mike:cool:

ben m
11-12-2008, 02:13 PM
the remake had nick cage and angelina jolie. the 1974 original was written produced starred in and directed by H.B. Halicki. he also did all the stunt driving for Eleanor and set a world record for a car jump that still stands today! he was unfortunately killed in a crash making the sequel...

Crash00527
11-12-2008, 07:35 PM
all good movies. your def. missing the Smoky and the Bandit!

90coug
07-21-2009, 05:29 PM
West Bound and Down, 18 Wheels Are Rolling

We Gonna Do What They Say Can't Be Done

We've Got A Long Way To Go, And A Short Time To Get There

I'm West Bound, Just Watch Ol' Bandit Run!"

ecyrbh
07-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Smokey and the Bandit for me....Heck, I've even got an unopened,still in the wrapper,original 8-track cassette soundtrack of the movie......:D:D

TwoToneThunder
07-22-2009, 12:19 AM
days of thunder had tons of mn12s in it

between 89-97 nascar ran a thunderbird chassis as a stock car

back when stock car racing was cool

LukewarmSteak
07-22-2009, 07:24 PM
http://www.fast-rewind.com/pix/christine.gif i mean what other 'car' movie is there?

93tbird06
07-24-2009, 11:20 AM
i pick movie that came out in 2006, fast and the furious, i love that movie.:;)

Regul8r
09-17-2009, 02:15 AM
American Griffiti

The HOT ROD culture at is purest!
Cruising, burger joints, picking up chicks, street racing, fist fights, all different tastes in cars AND women. The nerd, the jock, the greaser(hot rodder), the stranger(bad guy). Just a typical friday night in America!

I love cruising Dairy Queen on RT 9, in our rival town(Spencer), park the cars and hang out wearing our HS colors(Leicester, Maroon/Gold/White) in their town! NO WORRIES OF DRIVE BY'S OR SHOOTINGS! Things were settle on the street(run a dark back road to call out a handling challenger) (Run the Podunk Pike straight out for drag race and top end debates)
At the parking lot on Main street in Worcester(Webster Sq) Pizza Hut, Kick the tire BS talk, unless someone wnated to get serious! Then it was a run to the top and back down Airport hill!!
All types of cars, people, walks of life, I can remember... MAN I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY WHEELS so I can go hang out... EVERYTHING else gets set aside when it comes to cars... American Graffiti every friday/saturday night in America!

CharlieB
09-17-2009, 10:50 AM
There is one more good chase scene movie. Not american iron but the set is the south of France. Audi S8 late 70's BM 6.9. Some turboed Renault and others. The movie is Ronin, Robert De Niro was in it with a number of European actors. In addition to the good chase scene, the plot is pretty good, cat and mouse type spy theme.

There was the George Clooney Nicole Kidman movie Peacemaker. Pretty good chase scene with some more European iron.

The last in the Bourne series. The chase scene where Matt Damon absolutely beats the snot out of a Chevy Impala NY city squad car. The back end of the car is falling off in pieces and it still is running down the road.

I have to say Bullitt is the best. Back in '68 it was all real. The puffs of smoke out the Stang tailpipes as McQueen shifted. He did some double clutching in there too. The scene where he is backing up and the wheel hop gets real bad. I have Bullitt on Blu Ray, makes that chase scene even better. Might have to go home tonight and watch it.

Dangle
09-17-2009, 08:58 PM

Dude, EAST bound and down:D

RIP Jerry Reed

Regul8r
09-17-2009, 11:08 PM

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Dangle;838679]Dude, EAST bound and down:D

RIP Jerry Reed

DUDE,
East bound and down is the name of the song and the chorus as we know it.
BUT in the movie they had a verse they used only in the movie as they were headed to Texarkana to pick up the Coors.

Never hear that verse ANYWHERE else.

Dangle
09-18-2009, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE] DUDE,
East bound and down is the name of the song and the chorus as we know it.
BUT in the movie they had a verse they used only in the movie as they were headed to Texarkana to pick up the Coors.

Never hear that verse ANYWHERE else.

Your right. I thought I jnew that movie well. I stand corrected.
Never picked that up in all the times I watched it.

Belisarius
10-02-2009, 01:52 AM
Ronin has some great scenes. I particularly like the BMW M5 chase scene.

The original Italian Job. My favorite movie as a kid.

Just saw Grand Prix recently. Another great car movie.

Little known are the "Driver" shorts from BMW Films. They got the likes of Guy Ritchie, John Frankenheimer, Ang Lee et. al. to make 10 minute shorts featuring BMWs. Originally posted on line as an advertising campaign, the movies were available on DVD to BMW Club members and I'm sure you can watch them on YouTube.

Of the list provided here, I'd probably pick Bullit.

dklitzke
10-02-2009, 02:02 PM
For us old school guys, Thunder Road w/ Robert Mitchum, early '50s

Mike8675309
05-31-2010, 10:39 PM
I picked Vanishing Point. Probably because of the age I was when I first saw it. I was older when I saw Bullet on TV.

I can't come up with any really remarkable current generation "car" movie. Maybe Pixar's Cars? Perhaps Grand Torino counts?

Movies with some great car scenes/chases
Ronin
Quantum of Solace (opening scene)
Most Borne movies have some sort of crazy chase.
The Fifth Element (flying cars)
there are others, I'm blanking.

Steve Richards
06-03-2010, 04:51 PM
What about these ones...

Cars (2006)
Mad Max
Iron Man (love the R8)
The Transporter
Bad Boys II

And the worst car movie:
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (not a favorite)
The Love Bug

shoalcracker
06-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Try the California Kid.

Martin Sheen doing road tunes to handle a crooked cop.

Crash00527
06-04-2010, 03:37 PM
that was ooookkk...

madebyme
08-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Great movie, great cast!!! I remember sitting in the theater during the chase scene when they are in the spillways and thinking "Man it would be cool if that Mustang had Nitro", then GO BABY GO!!!

XR7Kurt
09-10-2010, 09:49 PM
I picked Gone In 60 Seconds before I saw it was the remake version, the original is the best. Good points about Smokey and the Bandit, I probably have to go with that one.
I think Bullitt has the best car scene ever but it's not enough to call the whole movie a car movie for me.
There are 3 or 4 on the list I haven't seen.

gr8ghost
03-12-2012, 01:59 AM
I had to pick Smokey and the Bandit. American Graffiti was right there.

I had heard bullet had such a great chase scene in it. But it was really terrible when it came to the cinematographic. Like from how many angles did they splice together the same turn? The last time I counted the VW appears 4 times and the Firebird 5. The 5th time was a different scene. Steve McQeen though was a real driver. It Was much better than the new car chase close ups where you really cannot see the action. Fake as all he-double-toothpicks.

shoalcracker
05-26-2012, 01:54 AM
It's early in the morning and I just watched Massa from the cockpit cam run a practice lap for the Monaco GP.

An unbelieveable piece of work, wall to wall from 25 mph to 170mph.

Then they mention a new movie by Ron Howard coming out in 2013.

If it has half of what I saw in this practice run, put on film, I'm nominating a new candidate.

It profiles N. Lada, J. Hunt and M Andretti.

Movie is called "Rush"

Paul

shoalcracker
05-26-2012, 02:12 AM
I think this is the core element for the story to evolve.:eek:

Paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWksORxA9l0&feature=related

Lee Billing
05-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Sorry guys but bein a thunderbird lover my favorite is the chase scene is in the movie Jade. Its a blacked out T bird with a sweet wing and rear window louvers. Its being chased by an old school taurus. (kinda lame but still is a god chase scene) You can look it up on youtube and watch just the car scene. Just my 2 cents.

Goldeneagle
05-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Just out of curiosity, why wasn't "Dirty Larry and crazy Mary" in that poll? :D

scskydivin
05-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Gotta love a movie that makes "Loaded up and Truckin" the coolest job around. Great movie. Speaking of car & chase movies that include Big Rigs....

Has anyone seen Convoy? "This here's the Rubber Duck"

And Black Dog? Patrick Swaze's drivin the ole Peterbuilt when they run over something. "What was that??? It was just a Mazda"

Semi chase scenes are some good stuff too!

Goldeneagle
05-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Gotta love a movie that makes "Loaded up and Truckin" the coolest job around. Great movie. Speaking of car & chase movies that include Big Rigs....

Has anyone seen Convoy? "This here's the Rubber Duck"

Yeah, I saw both, and I liked the end of Convoy, "You ever seen a duck that can't swim"? :p

David Neibert
05-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Just out of curiosity, why wasn't "Dirty Larry and crazy Mary" in that poll? :D

I liked that movie too. The SevenUps and French Connection also had good car chase scenes.

David

Plat0ribs
05-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Who can forget the chase scenes from the Terminator 1,2 &3.

Especially the Toyota Tundra being chased by the Tractor Trailor Craine, ending with the later getting flipped over a manhole!

But notwhithstanding all the other chase/car movies not included in this poll, Vanishing Point with Bullit a close second.

steveos89xr7
06-01-2012, 10:33 PM
anyone ever see speed zone my favorite movie the best openning sceen ever with the red lamboroghini!

Goldeneagle
06-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Who can forget the chase scenes from the Terminator 1,2 &3.

Especially the Toyota Tundra being chased by the Tractor Trailor Craine, ending with the later getting flipped over a manhole!

But notwhithstanding all the other chase/car movies not included in this poll, Vanishing Point with Bullit a close second.

Vanishing Point is in the poll, it was not clear if it was the first gritty one, or the crappy remake. How about Cannon ball run, or Gumball rally?

scskydivin
06-03-2012, 01:14 PM
The Matrix 2 had a great scene in it that had Semi's, cars, SUV's, motorcycles, Trinity & those bad Agents too!

whitebird93
06-03-2012, 04:43 PM
More recent movie "Drive". The mustang chase scene was cool.

frdlvr30
06-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Cannonball Run was my favorite as a young'in....

pats89sc
06-05-2012, 10:30 PM
I voted for Eleanor, but anyone remember the Wraith with Charlie Sheen?

Rick_Leuce
12-30-2012, 01:20 AM
My dad really liked "Corvette Summer" but my favorite is "Gran Torino"... Even though the movie wasn't REALLY about the car.

-RL

renello79
12-30-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm going to say gone in 60 seconds - 2000 because they show the largest variety of car's. But all great movies I own most of them.

Rick_Leuce
12-31-2012, 01:48 AM
I never get tired of that rolling van scene in "Inception".

I love it when the Ford Econoline starts up and keeps driving:D

-RL