Coolant question

SickWhip

Whats up guys,

I have a few questions. It's obvious that I have a coolant leak somehwhere, but I can't seem to find where it is originating from. It's not a fast leak, however, there is a leak, small drip. I'm gonna look it over today. The question is, I'm going to be replacing my coolant today, and what is the best way to flush? And what colant should I use, the green or the orange? Whats the difference? Thanks for your input guys, it's much appreciated

Use the green. I can't remember what it was but the orange is supposed to be harmful. Better safe than sorry. Give a good look over because there are so many places the coolant could leak from it's hard to say.

I don't think the orange is harmful. I believe that is the long life coolant that they use in cars nowadays so they can claim 100,000 mile tune up intervals. It should work fine in your car. However, it does not mix at all with the green coolant! So unless you can completely evacuate your system of the old coolant, I would just stick with the green stuff. I would be careful about a complete system flush. Those can be dangerous for our cars unless they have been done regularly for the cars entire life. If I were you, I would just drain out what I could and refill the system (following the proper procedure of course). You might also want to add some water wetter to further enhance your cooling system's capabilities.

I had the same problem with a "phantom leak". It turned out to be a worn-out radiator cap. Every time the engine got real hot, it would release a little pressure and I'd have these small puttles of coolant under my car. I put a new radiator cap on and no more leaking. I had the coolant system flushed and have had no problems in the past three months. It's real hot here in North Carolina too. The car has 112K on the clock and keeps running stronger!!! Took it on a business trip to Daytona Beach last week a dusted a BMW 540i because he wouldn't get off my bumper. This jerk was riding my bumper at 80 mph in a 70 zone and I just nailed it until the governor kicked in at about 125. He caught up to me but I was pulling away from him up to 125. I need to get the governor removed...

The only thing about removing the speed limiter is you have to worry about f**king up your driveshaft. That speed limiter is made to keep the car below the maximum speed for the driveshaft. Going too far over it will bend your driveshaft at the least. There is more info on this in the Tccoa tech articles.

Back