header leaking ??

89tird

i have this sound from the right side of the car im preety sure its an exhaust leak because i had it before, but now all of the exh manifold bolts are tight, i could hear it at idle and in drive but i hear it in drive when im driving next to a wall or something like that. gets louder and faster with speed

i found the #1 sparkplug sooty on the outside (without removing it ) however the two front bolts are tight and the gasket has like 500 miles on it..

what else could it be ??

hmm .. makes sense the car makes a bunch of noises at idle and vibrates a lil, maybe i have a loose plug on the right side, i checked the #1 plug and its tight.ill check the other

thanks

Another possibility is a cracked header tube/collector joint. If the plugs are all tight, I'd start close inspection in the area surrounding that sooted plug.

The composite exhaust header/manifold gaskets that come with the felpro kit kind suck. I blew a chunk out of one of mine and it sounded like crap but I never found it till I did a rebuild.

The metal gaskets for the mustangs actually fit the openings better and will not disintegrate.

Bob

ahh good to know about the gaskets , im going to check all plugs tomorrow and pick up a stethoscope to find the leak..

you have a leak

Start the car cold and feel around the header. You will find that leak. You can look at where the header lines up to the plug that is sooty. that is where your leak is. I have seen gaskets blow out even on race cars with no back pressure. If the gasket was weak, the flange bent or if there was something between the gasket and the header/head this can happen. Sad to say you will have to replace the gasket on that side of your engine....Rich

i have this sound from the right side of the car im preety sure its an exhaust leak because i had it before, but now all of the exh manifold bolts are tight, i could hear it at idle and in drive but i hear it in drive when im driving next to a wall or something like that. gets louder and faster with speed

i found the #1 sparkplug sooty on the outside (without removing it ) however the two front bolts are tight and the gasket has like 500 miles on it..

what else could it be ??

Question?

Do you have stock cast iron headers with thin steel gasket? I ran my stock ported cast iron headers with no gaskets as long as the exhaust port flanges are true and flat should hove no problem. If you want gaskets get the copper one's steel are junk. I now have Kooks long tube headers with no gaskets with no leaks and no problems

Last edited:
ahh sucks .. its a PITA to change that gasket without removing anything from the engine..

yup stock headers with stock gaskets.. i might just have to try the mustang ones or the coppers if i find them.. thanks again guys !

Speaking of mustang headers, where can I get ahold of some downtubes for those? I have a set of them sitting in my garage I would like to put on my car. Thanks.

Sean

Back