92 SC to 94 SC parts swap?

fastsc92

Ok, here's the deal....

I may have a local deal on a 94 SC auto, pending the condition of the paint and body once I go see it this weekend. I've heard of plenty of people going from 5-speeds to auto's but what about auto's to 5 speeds?

Ideally I'd want to transfer EVERYTHING from my 92 5-speed to this 94. This includes the rear end, suspension, brakes, engine, tranny, computer etc. What's involved in doing the 5-speed swap from the early model to the late model? What should I be concerned with about the swap? What CANNOT be transfered over? Wiring? Any wiring that I should be concerned about regarding the clutch pedal, ect?

I understand the difference in brakes, and I'd ideally like to eliminate traction control if possible. I'm plenty mechanically inclined, I just don't want any surprises that I'm going to be un-happy with in the process if I decide to buy this car because it want it to be a 5-speed with 95% of the parts from my 92....

Last edited:
I think you'd be better off using the 94 computer. You'd have to swap timing covers and balancers so there is some expense but the computer is much better.

Otherwise, the underhood wiring is different and the IRCM has different functions. If you swap your entire harness it won't be that hard to graft it onto the 94 harness. The dash interface between the EEC is different. The plug fits but the pinouts are different so you'll want to get schematics for both vehicles before attempting this.

As for the 5spd swap, it's not that bad, I've done it before. Clutch pedal is no issue. Finding a 5spd console cover might be an issue.....

Don't think you can eliminate traction control as it is part of the ABS system. You could create a circuit to turn it off every time you start the vehicle though.

The main reason for looking at this car is the body. My car was involved in a serious accident about 3 years ago. I've fixed the damage over the years, but the car needs paint, and in my mind, it'll never be 100% like it used to be. Other than the body needing paint, the car is 100% mechanically sound, and almost every part is new or upgraded. This is why I'd want to swap everything I can.

The motor in the 92 is original, with just ported heads, but I know it's running strong, and it already has the cam and custom timing gear set installed. I can build another motor in the meantime. I have a bhj balancer on my motor, so I'd have to ditch that and get the one for the later model cars, but I wasn't aware that the timing cover was different. I may even swap the interior if needed.

I'm not even sure if I'm going to go with this car or not. I have to see the condition of the body, paint and interior. All must score a 9 out of 10 for me to go through with the deal. I figured this guy is asking $1200 for it, with a messed up tranny, but it only has 78k on it. I'll get a good, straight, solid body, and if the paint is decent it'll save me money in the paint booth. It's going to cost me 3K ++ to paint my 92.....

Hi.
My son's 94 automatic SC spun an engine bearing after blowing the head gaskets. Was going to swap the spare engine from my old 92 5-speed. Just the engine, no 5-speed swaps at this time.

Is there any way around swapping timing covers and balancers? I mean can I splice the crankshaft position sensor wires from the harness onto the 92's sensor? Or is there a practical way to mount the 94's sensor onto the 92 timing cover and still have it read the position from the 92 balancer?

The one thing that I've been considering for my car is to swap in a 94/95 W4D2 computer, but instead of rewiring the harness for the different DIS etc, see if I can adapt the code to work with the existing system and wiring for my 90, and add in the wiring needed to control the 4r70w transmission.

There is support in the 94/95 computer to run the older DIS system.

So many things I want to recode in the EEC, so little time :(.

Fraser

If I 've got to swap the front of the 94 engine onto the 92 engine, it will certainly complicate this engine r&r. No other choice I suppose. And the car is stock, no tuner. Oh well, I've got to figure out something.

Then swap I will. My son's car has only 38K miles but one blown head gasket ruined it, well at least the engine. My '92 engine has 108K but head gaskets were replaced 20K miles ago as preventive maintenance. At least swapping engines will get him driving again. Then I can tear down the bad one and start planning a rebuild strategy.

Anyone think the '92 cam will affect how the '94 EEC responds? FWIW, I do have a good '89 5-speed cam I was thinking about using if I decided it was worth the hassle and wouldn't mess up the factory tune.

Thanks Dave and Fraser for responding.

-Allan

Despite the differences with the stock cams over the years, it won't affect your tune any since there wasn't really any radical changes made. The 89 5spd as you say was considered the best of the bunch.

If your going to swap, and have the front apart anyway, might want to consider looking at a mild cam though... it'll wake the motor up ;). A regrind would be perfect and that with longer push rods isn't that expensive. Don't go to aggressive though or you'll have to swap valve springs. Talk to Dave about it and he could set you up if your interested.

Fraser

Back