drivers side valve cover breather hose...necessary?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
I broke the little plastic tube that goes from the drivers side valve cover to the passingers side intake tube....im wondering if its really necessary or if I can just leave it unplugged for a bit until I get a breather filter. Is there any difference if i use the hose vs a breather filter? Thanks!

Pcv and that driverside tube does make somesort of closed loop path and leaving it unplugging does create a little problem in theory -> metered air gets it from Pcv and out from that tube (normally goes back to intake tube after maf, back to circulation)
If you plug it closed then in theory no air gets in pcv as there is no way out, but then you lose crankcase ventilation (and if somehow air gets in from pcv there is no way out -> slight pressure might build up inside engine..)
But this is just in theory :)

Just slap a breather on there and call it a day. It is only meant to keep the gasses from circulating into the environment, it seves no other purpose other than emissions.

A breather vented to atmosphere will act like a vacuum leak, because all the air going through the PCV into the intake will then bypass the MAF.

A breather vented to atmosphere will act like a vacuum leak, because all the air going through the PCV into the intake will then bypass the MAF.

Man this pcv discussion just goes back and forth on both sides. It has been like this for years and will go on. The SC is not my first boosted car. I have ran a breather on all of them and have had no adverse effects. But even on the other forums the same discussion gets held. There is no vacuum before the TB. All the "good" air pressure has been used for it's purpose and expelled out the back of the car. The extra gasses that did not get spent are vented and thus goes back into the intake before the TB to get re-spent for air cleaning purposes.

Back