PDA

View Full Version : Have the motor rebuilt-buy a reman?

Wags89SC
09-09-2008, 02:34 AM
I don't know any mechanics (machine shops) here in Vegas that work on our motors. Does the reman ($1900.00) on supercoupe performance sound good - has anybody used them? I just bought a '91 SC with a near flawless body, and excellent interior, but a bad motor & auto trans.

KMT
09-09-2008, 03:44 AM
I would have added the remans' $1900.00 & the rebuilt AODs' $1700.00 to whatever that '91 cost and found a good runner, instead...but hey, that's just me :)

Remans are not all that different when it comes down to it (as long as it is an SC specific build) - shop the warranty(s) and don't have it installed by just any dingo that's willing to take the money.

perm102
09-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Sometimes the deal is good enough to justify the cost.;) I got my SC for 200 bucks with a great body and interior. The motor locked up on the test drive. :eek:

Anyway, I got my motor from SCP and it was an easy process. The price was inline with others along with the warranty. You can find them cheaper used but you have to look at your options. I figured for the cost I get a 3 year warranty that I don't have to worry about.

neverfastenough
09-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I've had mine for over a year now, its has a bit of mods, 270rwhp and 356tq I believe. I beat on it pretty good, its been fine so far. BTW I got mine in 2days, Im in ohio, so is scp, but I think the motors come from Texas. I did have some probs getting my core refund, but I got it worked out. Go for it;)

superdadsc
09-09-2008, 11:59 AM
You can get a shortblock or long from S&S. Short is 1000 and have the heads done locally. S&S can also do a long block and port the heads for 1700, with a great warrenty. Stephen You can also lock on the interney. There is a dealer in NJ that sells the ford reman longblocks with the warranty but if something goes wrong you bring it to a dealer. Through SCP or Spinning whells you will have to pull the motor and sip it and get another if something goes wrong. The dealer wanted 1900 for a 95 motor which has better rods and pistons plus they had a windage tray.:D

90redsc
09-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Bought one from Bill. No issues and runs great.

XR7 Dave
09-10-2008, 12:23 PM
The dealer wanted 1900 for a 95 motor which has better rods and pistons plus they had a windage tray.:DIf they told you that they were misrepresenting. Those "special" parts are no longer available. On just about any reman you'll be getting Sealed Power pistons and Taurus connecting rods. No windage tray either.

neverfastenough
09-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Dave,

So do you think I am running taurus rods and cheap pistons in my scp engine? If so, it would probably be smart to for me to look into that before I swap heads and cam down the road, the short block might night not handle much more than 300rwhp with cheap internals?

superdadsc
09-10-2008, 02:58 PM
I was looking into the whole reman business but I decided to buy a motor that a ex member built buying the proper parts from Dave D. Over the next year I will start putting parts together from Dave D and build my original block the way I really want. To me it makes sense to go to the experts and when it comes to parts and our cars Dave is the man. Like anything in life you get what you pay for. I think it also helps in that decision making process to have a ultimate goal for your performance and make sure you have something that will support that or you will be doing it all over again.:eek: Stephen

I also bought my motor because I picked up a ported blower, MP Plenum, BHJ , and a nice cam and a new radiator. The cost of those parts alone where worth the money. I just hope she holds together. The rear main seal was put on backwards so I don't think he was much of a engine builder.:rolleyes:

XR7 Dave
09-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Dave,

So do you think I am running taurus rods and cheap pistons in my scp engine? If so, it would probably be smart to for me to look into that before I swap heads and cam down the road, the short block might night not handle much more than 300rwhp with cheap internals?

It's not a problem as long as you don't lean on it too hard. Ira's red car got leaned on a little hard by it's previous owner and spit out 4 bent rods and cracked pistons.

Not trying to scare anyone, that's just what can happen. I'm working on a direct replacement forged piston. If that comes to pass things will be better. Right now Sealed Power has stopped even making pistons for our motors so the pickings are getting slim. Not sure how much longer reman engines will even be available.....

Toms-SC
09-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Interesting topic. Dave have you ever come across a broken S/C crank during your adventures not caused by the head gaskets blowing or leaking?

Stupid Canuck
09-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Just had to make that decision. I went for the build. $1700 for the machine shop to return a long block. Another $1150 for H-beam rods and forged pistons.

Dirtyd0g
09-10-2008, 08:18 PM
I always think building a motor is a better idea than a reman. I got burnt by Jasper.
Rockauto shows sealed power pistons in stock. They have hyper and cast. Nothing forged of course.
Alan

kws6000
09-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Interesting topic. Dave have you ever come across a broken S/C crank during your adventures not caused by the head gaskets blowing or leaking?

Broken crank and blown hg are not inter related.

XR7 Dave
09-10-2008, 10:00 PM
I always think building a motor is a better idea than a reman. I got burnt by Jasper.
Rockauto shows sealed power pistons in stock. They have hyper and cast. Nothing forged of course.
Alan

Rock Auto and other retailers are still showing pistons available/in stock but if you order them they will cancel your order. Ask my why I know this. :cool:

XR7 Dave
09-10-2008, 10:05 PM

Cause and effect is often hard to pinpoint, but generally a motor with a broken rod will also have a blown headgasket. Bent rods often result in broken pistons over time, and broken pistons mean rods out the bottom. Often cause and effect is not known without careful study of the remains.

Most often broken cranks are the result incorrect crankshaft machining combined with imbalance conditions often tied to a bad balancer. I've seen many cranks survive thrown rods with no damage whatsoever and I've never seen a crankshaft fail due to a headgasket issue.

Wags89SC
09-11-2008, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the info. I figured when I bought the car(under 1K) I could put 2-3000 into the motor and trans and have a good runner for a few years, instead of paying 3-4000 for a "good" runner that might only last a few months(seen lots of 'em that have been rode hard and put away wet, too often)
Please tell me - the remans HAVE to have forged pistons, don't they?

XR7 Dave
09-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Please tell me - the remans HAVE to have forged pistons, don't they?Absolutely not.

superdadsc
09-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Stock from the factory they did not have forged pistons, they had forged rods though. Shell out a 1000 bucks for some Rods and Pistons from Dave have your heads done buy a local guy. Buy a regrind cam also from dave along with the springs and pushrods you will need, have someone put it together and you will have a nice solid motor. Then in time if you are looking for more power you will have a platform to build on. You will also have the security and the peice of mind knowing that the motor won't fall apart.

In my opinion, which was formed by reading and searching for a year, looking at member pages and seeing their setup, It is really the only logical choice, especially if you plan on trying to squeeze some power out of these.

Of course a stock rebuild kit from Dave will work great, but for a little more money you get the security of a forged longblock. Just my 2 cents. What ever you decide good luck with your car and welcome to the OBSESSION.:D:D Stephen