Best Mod Combo

FuriousFord

Hey Guys, I Need Some Opinions...

I Am Going To Be Rebuilding My '93 (again) And I Was Wondering What Parts I Could Use Without Having To Get The Computer Reprogramed.

my Goal:
I Would Really Like To Have The Car Done By Next Summer's All Ford Nationals, But While It's Apart I Would Like To Bolt On A Few More Ponies.

what's Been Done:
1.) Bored .020 Over
2.) Forged Pistons
3.) Cold Air Intake
4.) Magnaflow Exhaust - Exhaust Manifolds Back -

what Needs Done:
1.) Motor Rebuild
2.) Suspension Rebuild
3.) Paint
4.) Rims And Tires

motor Rebuild:
I May Start Another Thread, So Keep An Eye Out.
(title: Starting Over Again)
- Suggestions-
1. Cam
2. Tb
3. Maf
4. Porting
5. Fmic
6. Rockers
^what Are Some Mild Things I Can Run Without Tuning^

suspension Rebuild:
I Already Have A Majority Of The Parts, So No Problems Yet.

Thanks Everyone,
D. Fedder

I hope this does not come out the wrong way, but why do all those mods that you have listed and not get the car tuned?

I really can't see the point of getting a nicely built bottom end (which you already have and probably spent some decent coin on)......thinking about heads and cam, and won't spent $300 on a tune to maximize those mods.

Even if you didn't have those mods I would recommend a tune just for the trans changes, the fans and the power that can be gaing by some simple tuning.

Hope I didn't come across in a negative way.....not my intent.

Yea, I agree...If you cam it you will probably at least want a tune. I have a pretty mild 210 duration cam, but with the cars stock idle setting of 600 rpm it just doesn't idle all that well and without tuning I don't think there will be a way to make sure it idles great. Granted, it runs, but doesn't run as well as it should/could with a tune...

I understand what you mean, and you didn't come off negatively. I was under the impression that tuning was very expensive, so I haven't really done any research on it. I'll have to find where the closest dyno is, if I do build up the engine.

Regardless of all that, what are some good combo's to run? I'd like to keep it as a daily driver, but run like a raped-ape when I NEED it to...

I understand what you mean, and you didn't come off negatively. I was under the impression that tuning was very expensive, so I haven't really done any research on it. I'll have to find where the closest dyno is, if I do build up the engine.

Regardless of all that, what are some good combo's to run? I'd like to keep it as a daily driver, but run like a raped-ape when I NEED it to...

You need to decide how much power or how quick you want the car to be. Raped-ape may mean a 13 second car to some and a 10 second car to others.

David

Last edited:
For now I would like to make somewhere between 300 and 350HP, but I am mainly concerned with making it run right now. I'm looking for something mild and fun!

D.Fedder

If your going 300 to 350, you arent going to do it with out a tune, or bigger injectors(youll max out the duty cycle on the injectors long before 300 HP). Since you have the engine apart. A mild cam and head work will get you the biggest bang for the buck. I would replace the TB with a 70 or 75MM, 42 lb injectors and a chip (about 300 buck) Dave Dalke might be able to get you a tune based on all the information you give him but only he can answer that. That is the main things I would look at. I see forged pistons but nothing mentioned about the rods. Why would you not do a stronger rod if your spending the money on good pistons?. Then there a better IC, a bigger MAF with a cone filter and a 10% pulley and it will run like a raped ape. Like I said at first cam and heads biggest bang and you will need a tune

Ken

If your going 300 to 350, you arent going to do it with out a tune, or bigger injectors(youll max out the duty cycle on the injectors long before 300 HP).
Not that I want to hijack this thread, but it is possible to get 300 rwhp without a tune, although I don't believe the parts are available anymore, nor did everyone have the same success with the now unavailable Pro-M MAF/Filter combo that I purchased almost 10 years ago. It was calibrated for 42 lb injectors and when tuned later, the tuner was only able to pickup an additional 8 rwhp to a total of 316 rwhp. I do realize that the 308 rwhip that I had prior to the tune may not have been as safe as with the tune. My point is that it is possible to get 300 rwhp without a tune, but it definitely is easier with a tune.

SO the engines been done but needs to be rebuilt again?

Kenewagner: Why would you not do a stronger rod if your spending the money on good pistons?

I rebuilt the engine for my highschool graduation project, and I was working with a guy that claimed he KNEW ALOT about auto mechanics. It turns out that he knew just as much as any other DIYer... He trashed the motor and I wound up building it again by myself.

My plan was to make into a weeked racer, but funding became very limited. I couldn't have the car just sit waiting to get finished, so I bought the only oversized pistons the shop offered me... I did neglect to build it up while it was apart, but my first priority was to get it running since I didn't have too much money.

About 6 months ago, it developed a strange ticking sound and bad hesitation. So, I decided to take it back apart... I figured I would be more successful under the guidance of your knowlege.

RODS
I was under the impression that the SC's piston rods were already strong...

Thanks,
D.FEDDER

300-350hp with no tuning? Good Luck! It cost me 500 bucks to have my car tuned the first time, and 200 every time it goes on the dyno for tuning after that. At my first run I had port and polish plus three way valve job, long tube headers, raised top, FMIC, full 2.5" exhaust w no cats, 10% OD pulley, larger MAF, and 42lb injectors. I made 230 hp at the rear wheels. I just added a cam, new style blower at 13% OD. I expect to make another 20 with a tune, to put me at 250 at the wheels. The driveability before the tuning is done and after is huge. Something as common as upgrading to larger injectors requires a tune to be fully optimized. People make up for the majority of the problem by changing the sampling tube. There is a link on a recent thread around here on why sampling tubes are only a band aid fix to mask issues arising from larger injectors. SC rods are strong. But if you plan on running 350 hp, and racing the car on the weekends, they are a good consideration. At a minimum I'd recommend ARP fasteners for the connecting rods and head studs.

the sc crank is strong..Rods are a weak link but not at 300 rwhp..

But you know do it once do it right..A set of h beam rods will only set you back about 300 bucks.

Then again a stock rebult motor would be good for that power range as well...

300rwhp or more is pretty obtainable for not all that much money. everything to get there is readily available

Just how handy are you?
Do you weld?

Start on getting the shortblock together however you deciede to go. Get your heads ported by a reputable porter..A .520 lift cam(when ya ready we can direct you)...Get the car running..Then we can take it from there.

The difference between 325 or so rwhp cost wise seems tto grow pretty rapidly. So think of your budget,WHat you want to spend...WHat you really expect..

I spent very little money on my latest project..very little..Im pretty dam happy with it however and it seesm to be quicker then all cars ive been up against thus far..Stangs, the G35 cars, Vw's a few vettes. Of course there were a few I didnt race as I thought Id get my butt handed to me...But still

And as a note. I needed a tune. No way I could drive it without...I currently have A Damon tune in it now (what means drivability issues because DAMON cant tune). Im looking to get it tuned and dynoed shortly. Im expecting from my mods somewhere at or around 300rwhp. WIth a 285 rear tire first gear is useless at any rpm....DO it right and youll love it

Goal Revision

Yeah I suppose you're right, but I might just save a major engine rebuild for another day. Since I have set a goal to be at All Ford Nationals next summer, I will repair what's wrong with the motor and focus on making her look good. I wish I had the time a money to build it up now, but that won't happen for a few more years when I graduate from college.

I have been doing a bunch of financial planning and endlessly looking for the best deal on parts, but I seemed to have over looked the most important part... WHERE AM I GOING TO DO THE WORK? Any of you guys close to Elizabethtown, Pa.? :D I'll have to talk to a friend of mine and see if he'll let me use one of his garage bays again. I hope so.

Suspension:

I just had a quick question about clearence issues...

I purchased a set of 1.4", 1.6" drop springs from Suspension Techniques, and I was wondering if I would have any problems putting a set of 18X9's underneath. What tire size would you recommend?

Thanks again,
David Fedder

Back