HID Bi-Xenon. 9007 bulb Again....New Technology.

ricardoa1

Before anyone starts to flame the thread on how HID blind people and should only be used in projectors or designed housings, read. Yes you are right on the glare blah blah.

Anyways. New HIDs kits designed to be plug and play kit for 9007 Bulbs are designed to operate in HIGH and Low beam mode and will allow you to pass your states inspection sticker you get at the service station.

Has anyone tried one of these kits on their cars. I am not talking about the ones that flip the bulb element up and down to give the effects of high and low beam.

But a kit like the one below. I am interested in buying, to help me with my alternator amperages, and ofcourse the looks of it. I am only looking to do the 4300k kit since it offers the best lumens and does not start to look funky going down the street.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENO...m14QQhashZitem230289593734QQitemZ230289593734

TempChart-13.jpg

There are other kits But I am more interested in the one I started with.

16110640812.jpg

This type of kit uses a traditional Halogen bulb as your high beam. This type of kit is generally the cheapest and is what you would find on Ebay claiming to be a bi-xenon kit. This is not a true bi-xenon kit, but if you want a cheap option and not loose your high beam function, then this is the way to go.

16110955421.jpg

The Flex bulb kit is a little different then a traditional bi-xenon kit. Flex bulbs are more expensive than a single beam kit and usually run more than the halogen+HID kits as well. The one advantage of this type of kit is that you don't loose your ability to flash your high beam. This bulb physically moves to change your beam pattern and is quite effective in either warning oncoming drivers or flashing someone ahead of you.

9004bi20xenon.jpg

The dual bulb Bi-xenon kit is a true bi-xenon bulb. This type of kit uses two bulbs per housing one for your low beam and one for high. This kit will be the most expensive out of all three due to the fact you have 4 hid bulbs and 4 ballasts. This kit is great for optimum light output when using your high beam function. The only draw back to this style is, when switching to your high beams the bulb will not reach full operating temp right away, it takes 1-3 sec for the bulb to be its brightest.

How hard are these things to install? I think a set of 6000K would help me out on looks and being able to see because I can't see very well at night.

Those flex bulb kits which is the one I will most likely but go for 159 on ebay. I like the metal shield since it should provide a cutoff of light when not using the high beams. And not cause the dreaded glare that HIDs in a non HID housing cause.

Dual HID bulbs would just be crazy glare and too expensive.

Video of how they work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrR1ozc1LA0

Last edited:
I was looking at those myself..Ive seen kits under $100

(how they went down in priceb but proba garbage )

If you get some let me know how they turn out..I was definitely thinking fog lights and am still thinking of doing teh LED conversion of teh driving lights but ran into relay ssues without relocating from the factory location

Which headlight housing are you using?

I dont know about your 'Bird, but mine uses 2 separate bulbs for lo/hi beam, a 9006 and a 9005 bulb, respectively. A 9007 single-envelope lo/hi would not work in my headlight housing.....and the pics you have posted are for an H3 bulb, not a 9007.

Last edited:
Have you ever looked inside the lens at the reflector? I ran a set of aftermarket bulbs for a while on my old 96 and it turned the reflector black from the extra heat. I'm not sure if that will be an issue with these.

generally the heat from halogen bulbs

are much greater than that of an hid. to start with the halogens use 55/65 watts, and hid systems tend to stay below 35 watts. so it probably wont burn the reflective backing.

Yes HID put out much more lumens and use less wattage(and amperage)

I had mentioned running cooler but that they do not from what I read up on.

Toshiba puts out an HIR bulb which is suppossed to be much brighter at the same wattage but doesnt solve your lowring the electrical usage issue

Last edited:
Actually, the glass envelope around the HID element can reach nearly 1200 degrees, almost as hot as the sodium lamps used in warehouses and street lighting. The High Intensity Discharge lighting sytem used in the automotive world is a close cousin of these. I have been in the aftermarket mobile electronics and accessory field for over 20 years, and have seen many a headlight housing damaged by HID's. The bulb hood usually takes most of the abuse.

But, they do use considerably less energy to produce considerably more light, so, it is up to you do choose the lesser of two evils.....

Last edited:
Back