Are the heads still good???? What would it take to fix up??

Smkn600ctd

Looking at a 93 SC/Auto with 122K miles on the car, that is very VERY clean and unmolested. I can get the car for $900-maybe less. However, it has a blown head gasket (imagine that:p ) The lady has spent money like fool on the car....$900 for motor mounts???? :eek:

Anyways, the engine has about 4,000miles since the rebuild. Then the water pump developed a leak, and the lady owner took it to a corner shop who installed the pump (that she bought at Checker). The shop offered her no warranty because she bought her own water pump.

The very next day......it overheated within 10miles of driving and started blowing white smoke out the tailpipes. So she said she shut down, and hasn't restarted since being afraid of damaging the engine worse.

The other day I pulled dipstick and the oil is milky, and its been sitting like this for about 4 months now.

My question is....

Are the heads junk?
Is the whole engine junk (with 4K miles on it)?
What would it cost to fix it myself if the engine isn't junk? (head gaskets???)

wont know till you take it apart. engine is most likely still good unless there is a hole in the side of it, it could probably be bored out. take the heads off send them to a machine shop/engine builder to have them tested and magna fluxed, that's the only way you will know. probably cost you upwards of $5-600 i suppose to take it all apart and get gaskets and machine shop bills. this is if you do the work yourself.

If the oil is milky and it has been sitting for four months, you need to rebuild the whole engine. The rod and main bearings have been exposed and sitting in oily anti-freeze. Anti freeze is very corrosive and has started attacking the bearings, you may get by for awhile by just replacing the head gaskets. But more than likely will only be a matter of time before you are pulling the motor and doing a complete rebuild.

4 months better yank engine most likely rusty inside clean good dont reuse bearings water pits them remember cam berings as well

Back