New SC owner, what are the most reasonable upgrades?

jimmy303

I would like to do an exhaust upgrade (I'm not against a single exit setup), cold-air intake, I am planning a 10% OD on the SC, injectors and chip, this weekend - if possible, and, I would like to know how far I can go with a stock '90 5-speed, with 84k miles. I have seen alot of talk on the forum about motor mount, harmonic balancer and driveshaft upgrades. Where should I begin to build her up? What would be considered as necessary for a stout and strong, yet, dependable daily driver? I don't want a drag-strip burner, just something that will make that kid down the block with the Integra with the coffee-can braaaappp muffler, tribal-style vinyl graphics and ridiculously phallic body kit say, ...."~~~?", as I run away from him....
I have previously owned some VERY fast diesel trucks in the past, my '98 Dodge dually crew-cab 4x4 being the most intimidating (13.2 @ 98 - at nearly twice the curb weight of my SC), but, I am new to the SC world....
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.......

Last edited:
As it's been said before it's probably a good idea to stay away from a 10% without adding an IC fan to IC at the very least. A double IC is preferable but more expensive(about $400 normally). Your on the right track by starting with the exhaust. If you want the best rear exit exhaust, you should upgrade to the 93-95 style gas tank so the exhaust can go straight back instead of turning around a corner.

Decreasing intake resistance before the blower is good too. A MAF, CAI, and TB are good upgrades.

The early model blowers aren't all that great either. You could upgrade to a late model blower or MPx, etc.

The possibilities are endless, it just depends how much you want to spend...

Well, I'm not looking to go crazy on her, just get a bit more "ooomph"! A supercharger swap may be a bit above 'reasonable' for me, but an intake and exhaust upgrade are quite likely. I kinda dig the look of a beefy single outlet exhaust - is there a benefit to staying with the duals? And, as far as intake, I am definitely going cold-air - K&N or AiRaid. But an OD on the SC is not recommended without heavier mods? Even a 5% OD?

Dic

Do youself a favor and pm kenewagner and get yourself a beautiful IC. Besides the exhaust being done the act's need to be addressd first imo as when the IC gets heatsoaked from your underhood temps being so high it will pull your timing back and run like a dog. When you get your temps undercontrol you can take advantage that the other mods have to offer. If you can port things port your blower, free mod and you will get better performance and less heat from it so we like that one. Also heat is nor your HG's friend.:D:D Stephen

There are dozens of threads that cover this topic in one way or another. Anyway, I will always be an advocate for getting underdrive pulleys as one of the best early mods.

What about my idea for a single-exit exhaust? Is that taboo with the SC crowd? Not an obnoxious coffee-can muffler kind-of-exhaust, but maybe 3" all the way from the resonator outlet to a single Dynomax UltraFlow with a 3.5" slant-cut tip?

most of us sc'ers like the look of dual exhaust. i dont really think there's any more performance gain over a single pipe system ( unless its a tru-dual one).

Micahdogg i think was talking about how a single pipe would flow and sound better.

Think I'll try out the single-outlet, 3"/3.5" setup the boys at Pettit Racing recommended. I'll keep y'all posted...

Back