Nasty oil leak

freakaftr8

Hey guys, for about a month now there has been a leak. I first thought it was the oilpan, but I now notice after a good pressure washing its coming from the driver side front, near the oil cooler unit. Anyone ever had a leak coming from it? or can the timing cover develop a leak (i know stupid question). But I probably will end up tearing it down anyway. But the leak is dripping onto the right side K-member right near the power steering lines going into the rack.

Thanks!

>But the leak is dripping onto the right side K-member right near the power steering lines going into the rack.

Is the engine oil low? Power steering fluid low?

The cross-member lip acts as a catch pan - meaning a leak can come from one location and appear on the floor in another. The oil filter boss and cooler adapter are right above the cross-member.

A sloppy oil change can cause a build up in the rolled lip of the cross-member and drip out until the build up is gone.

Might try fitting a digital camera down the front to take some exploratory shots just for fun...

My oil cooler was leaking so badly that I would trash the windshield of the car behind me. First check to make sure that the oil filter is not double gasketed. I seem to remember that the shop had to have one of the lines fabricated as they were no longer availiable. The oil cooler will leak only while the car is running.

Yep I think it's the oil cooler. The Filter is not double gasketed and it only leaks running. So I think im going to pull the cooler and replace the gasket.

I bet your motor mounts are shot. When they go, the oil fiter can ride on the frame of the car causing pressure on the oil filter and cooler.

Good point Ricktdbird. I replaced my motor mounts with solid ones right after I had the oil cooler replaced.

Very good point. Well the driverside mount is soaked but still seems to be good. There are no visable signs of the engine letting the oil filter sit on the frame and it has about 1.5" clearnace. I did find that the oil pump gasket was smashed and someone in the past replaced the gasket, and put in longer bolts causing the oil pumop not to seat properly. So got new bolts from a bad SC engine sitting in my garage, Im going to get a new gasket and put this badboy back together.. Ill keep you informed if it fixed the leak.

Thanks

Well I repaired the leak. It was cool for 2 days, then now leaking agian. AARGH!! I think it could be the oil pressure sending unit. There is an abundant amount of oily residue around it.

Well I repaired the leak. It was cool for 2 days, then now leaking agian. AARGH!! I think it could be the oil pressure sending unit. There is an abundant amount of oily residue around it.

I will bet money it is indeed the oil pressure sending unit. I thought mine was leaking from the oil filter until I looked above it and noticed a severe leak from the sender dripping down on the frame and filter. I could see it drip from above when the engine idled. Cost a whopping $4.00 to replace it with an OEM type unit if you don't mind the on/off signal to the gauge. Access is limited but I managed to remove the old sender and tighten the new one with a socket without removing anything else.

Back