PDA

View Full Version : TV linkage problem

12v Wizard
09-13-2008, 09:19 AM
The steel cable of my TV linkage sticks out about 1" past the adjustable notched sleeve. My transmission up-shifts late (3000 rpm or higher) and rather hard. When I move the throttle by hand, I can see that the TV linkage extends out to meet the stopper at the end of the cable, so I can the throttle is never really moving the linkage.

I've search a few threads so far, and all I can find is info on adjust the linkage (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30511&highlight=adjust+shift+linkage) but nothing on why it's stuck all the way out.

Should I just replace the linkage, or is there a way to fix this? Does any one know why it might be stuck like this? I haven't had an opportunity to get under the car yet...

Dirtyd0g
09-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Is it hooked up at the transmission end? You might need a new cable.
Alan

rickbtbird
09-13-2008, 12:31 PM
The steel cable of my TV linkage sticks out about 1" past the adjustable notched sleeve. My transmission up-shifts late (3000 rpm or higher) and rather hard. When I move the throttle by hand, I can see that the TV linkage extends out to meet the stopper at the end of the cable, so I can the throttle is never really moving the linkage.

I've search a few threads so far, and all I can find is info on adjust the linkage (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30511&highlight=adjust+shift+linkage) but nothing on why it's stuck all the way out.

Should I just replace the linkage, or is there a way to fix this? Does any one know why it might be stuck like this? I haven't had an opportunity to get under the car yet...
Trace the cable from the TB to the tranny. As you might know, the cable assembly attached to the TB linkage via a nylon grommet. When the TB linkage moves it should move the entire assembly and the TV cable.

Is the retainer clip there? It's the one that holds the notched piston onto the sleeve. If itís there then the cable might have broken away from that assembly or worse became detached inside the transmission due to another mechanical problem.

Tcian
09-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Mine did the same thing. Slide under the drivers side, follow the cable to the transmission, push on the linkage with your finger. I let my car sit at my mothers house for a week fearing the long drive home. It took all of 20 seconds to fix. Her neighbors could hear laughing from under my car. I sprayed some silicone lube on the linkage while I was under there and have not had a problem.