Innovate Guys, need info for signal taps..

fastsc92

Well I couldn't fix the PLX unit so I went out and got a new Innovate system. Picked up a LC-1 and two SSI-4 units. I got it all for under $300 new from a local shop:). I also got a Moates O-Meter for a realtime display.

Anyhow, I plan to log the following signals:

LC-1- Native AFR

SSI-4 #1

channel 1-RPM
channel 2-Injector Duty Cycle
channel 3-Ignition Advance
channel 4-MPH

SSI-4 #2

channel 1-MAF
channel 2-TPS
channel 3-Intake Temp (ACT)
channel 4- external G-Sensor

I already had most of these signals run into neat ternimal blocks for my PLX but the Innovate stuff needs reference grounds for each signal.

For MAF,TPS,MPH, and ACT I used pin #6 on the EEC harness as my reference ground which I think will be fine, and their + signals of pins 50, 47, 3 and 25 respectively.

For RPM, Injector, Spark advance, I'm not sure what to use for reference grounds. For RPM, I'm going to run a wire from the stock cluster to the logger for the + signal, unless there is somewhere I can tap into the computer which is closer. Regardless, what should I use for the reference ground for RPM?

For injector, I tapped the #6 injector at pin # 12. But I'm not sure what to use for the ground reference.

The same goes for the crank sensor, I used pin# 56 for the + signal, but I'm not sure what to use for the reference....pin #16??

I'd attatched the wiring diagram for a 92 SC. http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/...0c152/80/06/bb/d6//large/0900c1528006bbd6.gif

Any help with this would be great.

RPM is available at the EEC. I used the signal ground at the EEC for all inputs.

RPM, Pin 36, Yellow / Lt. Green stripe.
Injectors are switched ground. Not sure how best to hook those up.
not sure how to do ignition advance. signal to the EEC I believe is conditioned by the DIS module.

RPM is available at the EEC. I used the signal ground at the EEC for all inputs.

RPM, Pin 36, Yellow / Lt. Green stripe.
Injectors are switched ground. Not sure how best to hook those up.
not sure how to do ignition advance. signal to the EEC I believe is conditioned by the DIS module.

With the Innovate stuff I should be able to use a crank trigger, such as our crank sensor, in addition to an RPM input. The innovate software can figure it out after that...at least that's what the manual says.

With the PLX stuff I was using the #6 injector switched ground(pin12) as an RPM input as nothing else gave me a clean signal with their hardware.

So now I'm still using that pin, but I need either the reference for it or the positive side of it I think...

But you used the signal ground for everything? Define everything...... I'm worried about high demand commponents like injectors...

Last edited:
With the Innovate stuff I should be able to use a crank trigger, such as our crank sensor, in addition to an RPM input. The innovate software can figure it out after that...at least that's what the manual says.

With the PLX stuff I was using the #6 injector switched ground(pin12) as an RPM input as nothing else gave me a clean signal with their hardware.

So now I'm still using that pin, but I need either the reference for it or the positive side of it I think...

But you used the signal ground for everything? Define everything...... I'm worried about high demand commponents like injectors...

Everything being any SENSOR inputs. Anything the EEC is going to use signal ground for, I used it's signal ground for.

Injectors, I believe are ground driven. EEC injector driver drops the signal wire to ground, forcing 12v through the injectors coil to cause the injector to open. Hopefully someone who's done this will comment. What I would likely do is take the switched 12v source at the eec (pin 15, RED) and run that in the positive of the signal for the injector. Then have the sensor ground be the injector control wire. Thus when the EEC pulls that to ground you'll flow the 12v through the ss4 input and it'll see it as on. Alternatively, if the SS4 provides a 5v signal (not sure) you could run that through and use the EEC-injector lead to be ground. Then you're not putting 12v but 5v through the SS4.

to be honest, I'd ask at the Innovate forum. For sure someone there had wired up a injector for sensing before.

Well at least I got the RPM and RPM ground figured out. I'm fairly confident with the crank sensor input, and I try using the same sensor ground. The question is just the injector signal.

I'm not sure how the PLX unit interpreted the signal, but it worked by feeding the switched ground and using a chassis ground.

I'll ask over on their forum. Thanks for the input. Anyone have anything else to chime in?

Back