I had never heard of this but a wise old man said...

I was told by this old man that felpro likely makes a gasket for my intake manifold that has a metal screen in it, and that it helps to make the gas "mist" before it enters the head (combustion chamber). I am not well edjucated on this, but does anyone know what he is talking about? He explained that this trick is good for gobs of low end torqe! He also explained that you loose out on some of your top end horses. :confused:

Last edited:
Hmmm.....

That is most true and I never even thought about that. This old man is thinking about carburated engines! He is still in the '80's I guess!:D

I forget their name but these type gaskets do exist. I doubt for the 3.8 Ford though. The screen is to further atomize the fuel and is said to improve low rpm torque considerably. Not like we need that. OTOH the screen cuts airflow so upper RPM performance is drastically reduced. Not a worthwhile performance mod IMO, unless you're trying to get your gas engine to act like a diesel

Thats's true, but...

He did state that it would rob from the top end Parker Dean, but he said that problem would be less of an issue with heads that will be ported, and polished. In his opinion it also depends on what you will be using the car to do. I am personally not so much interested in "top speed" as much as quarter-mile passes. I know it could not be used with our fuel-injected cars, but this idea is still interesting for other applications.:eek:

its true old trick but not made that way

we used to do the screen thing on 351 clevelands the ports were to big anyway, so we put screen in and remixed the fuel as it tended to puddle on carbed big intaked small motors on the cleveland it helped bottom end and didnt hurt top end because ports were so damn big .but you had to add screens your self

Sounds right!

Yes Manny!
That sounds like what the old-timer said! He sat there for hour explaining formulas for heads and other things that will make an engine more efficient with more horse power. He even proved a theory to me about how an engine can run without no Heads at all! It was sort of a far fetched and non-streetable concept, but it would work!:D

Back