Power steering fluid leak from strange place

trackjunkie

My 1995 SC has developed a bad power steering fluid leak. I cleaned up under there got underneath and looked around while it ran.
It looks like its leaking out from all around the rubber mounting bushing on the frame side underneath the steering input shaft. I got a mirror and tried to look above the mounting bushing to see if it was just leeking down from someplace else.
I could not see any streaming down, though honestly I could not see much.

So:
Is there even oil in the mounting bolt hole which could be leaking out past an 0-ring or something.

Any other ideas?

Check the power steering lines going into the rack and pinion are right on the top side of the rack driver side. Pull out the two 18?mm bolts from the rack, disconnect the steering shaft coupling (same side), drop it down start the car, check the lines for drips. You could have a high side pressure leak. Just got done fixing that on my 95 SC.
Good luck

Last edited:
Hp fitting

The high pressure fitting is a bent metal elbow about 3 1/2 inches with a male and female end to mate the high pressure hose with the rack. I don't know why the hose doesn't mate directly to the rack but it don't. It is a ford only part and costs about $50. It is very hard to access. If you determine this is your problem you will have easy access to replace your driver side motor mount as you will have everything off to do that job too. Even with all that junk off it is not easy to get the 18mm wrench on that part. I would plan on replacing the HP hose at this time too. This is also a good time to install a mechanical oil pressure sensor and gauge.

The low pressure fitting (right next to the high) can be had from A-zone I believe and not ford. Search for part numbers.

Good luck

Bob

After replacing my p/s pump, I've been chasing a p/s leak on my '95 for months. Tried to pinpoint it by cleaning and then watching where fluid was dripping from. I pulled, resealed and tightened anything I could.

While doing a search on p/s leaks I came across a thread regarding the EVO valve. Even though I replaced the two "O" rings visible when you remove it, there are two more "O" rings under the swivel that has the connector for the electronic dampener. When you have the EVO valve out, hold it and twist the connector and it's sleeve. It will slide off and you will see two "O" rings underneath it. One of mine was about 80% gone. Replaced the "O" rings and no more leak!

It drove me crazy 'cause the p/s fluid would stay for about two weeks and then I'd have to refill. Of course, there were puddles everywhere.

Good luck.
Mark
'95 SC 5spd

Back