PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Night??

SCrazy
09-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Anybody up for one final test session Wednesday night??

I'd really like to get the transbreak figured out before heading to Dayton.

ricardoa1
09-15-2008, 10:26 AM
My car will hopefully be in the Body Shop :D

bigpoppa822
09-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Brian,
If my school let me keep a car here I'd be there. Good luck getting the brake figured out, your car is fuggin sweeeeeet :D.

fastsc92
09-15-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm trying for Friday. I got all new Innovate stuff and two data loggers to replace my PLX. Now I can actually tune it again for my 60lb injectors and drain my bottle.:D Hoping to see high-mid 11's.

This all depends if I can get the time to finish the wiring install and do a quick tune.

David Neibert
09-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Anybody up for one final test session Wednesday night??

I'd really like to get the transbreak figured out before heading to Dayton.

Brian,

Did you get a 2 step rev limiter yet ?

David

SCrazy
09-16-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm using the old school analog full sweep right foot rev limiter for now.

I'm gonna take a look at a couple of the two steps at the shootout and decide if that's something I want to do over the winter.

Brian,

Did you get a 2 step rev limiter yet ?

David

fastsc92
09-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Is the only option getting a DIS-4? I've wanted a two step for so long but I'd hate to spend money on a dis-4 plus tach adapters if there is another system out there that just does the two-step

David Neibert
09-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Is the only option getting a DIS-4? I've wanted a two step for so long but I'd hate to spend money on a dis-4 plus tach adapters if there is another system out there that just does the two-step

As far as I know, DIS-4 is still the only option for an SC.

David

SCrazy
09-16-2008, 09:16 AM
I think your right but I don't think you need the tach adapters to make it work. Kevin does not use them and I don't think Chris is using them either. But by the time you go with DIS-4 you might as well update to their coils and wires your looking at a $1000.00 bill to use the two step 4-5 times a year.

As far as I know, DIS-4 is still the only option for an SC.

David

fastsc92
09-16-2008, 09:43 AM
very true. I'd prob. stick with the stock coils rather than go with the individual coils at my power level. Looks like you can get the newer dis-4 plus for around $300 used on e-bay. Looks like it'll be a winter install for me....

What's different about the older dis-4 vs. the dis-4 plus besides the fact that is has dial switches is that the two step is wired differently. Before, when it was grounded, the two-step was activated. Now the newer model needs 12 volts for it to be activated. Which makes it easier for me, since i can just wire it to my line lock on the shifter.

Or I could go the whole relay route using the clutch pedel switch and the line lock so that it doesn't get activated when in the burn-out.

David Neibert
09-16-2008, 11:28 AM
I think your right but I don't think you need the tach adapters to make it work. Kevin does not use them and I don't think Chris is using them either. But by the time you go with DIS-4 you might as well update to their coils and wires your looking at a $1000.00 bill to use the two step 4-5 times a year.

Brian,

I don't really think you are going to have a problem not using the ignition box and 2 step because the rpms under a load are pretty easy to control with a supercharged motor and the stock ignition seems to be strong enough.

Chris really needs it, because it very difficult to modulate a turbocharged motor under a load. On mine, once the turbo reaches the point that it starts spooling and becomes self feeding..it will rapidly accelerate until it hits the 7000 rpm rev limiter, with only 1/4 throttle. Without a 2 step rev limiter, the only way to stop it is to get off the throttle hard enough to open the BOV.

David

SCrazy
09-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Playing a little in front of my house (neighbors love me) I seem to be able to hold a pretty steady rpm with the break on. The real problem is it takes me a couple of seconds to stabilize the rpm then the timing of mashing the gas as I release the brake is an issue.

Gonna take a little practice but it doesn't seem impossible to get pretty decent at this technique as long as I have a few seconds after I've staged to get settled.

Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow night?

fastsc92
09-16-2008, 01:57 PM
I can imagine it would be a little tricky to get the timing down....but actually, thats what I have to do with the 5-speed. I usually quickly pedal the gas to keep it around 4k-ish then drop the clutch and mash the gas at the same time. Took me a little getting used to, but I've been doing it for years at this point. A two step would be a huge improvement over this method.

Brian, once you experiment a little with it, you'll be fine. Just don't break anything before the shootout!;)

So the brake does activate when in gear now?

David Neibert
09-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Playing a little in front of my house (neighbors love me) I seem to be able to hold a pretty steady rpm with the break on. The real problem is it takes me a couple of seconds to stabilize the rpm then the timing of mashing the gas as I release the brake is an issue.

Gonna take a little practice but it doesn't seem impossible to get pretty decent at this technique as long as I have a few seconds after I've staged to get settled.

Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow night?

Brian,

That's the good thing about using the 2 step....gas pedal goes to the floor.

Still takes a little practice and concentration. The firsts couple times it's very uncomfortable and counter intuitive pressing the gas pedal to the floor and letting off the brake pedal while knowing the only thing holding the car back is your finger on that red button.

The first time I was practicing out in the street and accidentally released the button at the same time I let off the gas pedal :eek: Jumped about 3 ft and scared the crap out of me. Later that day at the track I did the same damn thing in the pits. Lucky no one was in front of the car.

David

PS: Don't mess around and break it, this close to the Shootout.

SCrazy
09-16-2008, 02:20 PM
So the brake does activate when in gear now?

Yup...funny thing is when I engage the brake and let off the footbrake the car rolls forward a few inches. It may have been engaging last time at the track but I think I paniced when the car rolled forward.

David Neibert
09-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Yup...funny thing is when I engage the brake and let off the footbrake the car rolls forward a few inches. It may have been engaging last time at the track but I think I paniced when the car rolled forward.

That's normal...unfortunately when it does that it's relaxing the drivetrain, which I'm certian creates more shock loading when the brake is released. I suppose you could have line locks (front brakes) wired in with the trans brake, so both release at the same time.

David

Kevin Leitem
09-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Brian, using the foot brake will probably yeild better results than trying to hold it at a certain RPM with the go pedal and transbrake. when i switched from stock coil to MSD coils I really didn't see any real improvement. if you really want to use the brake you can do what i did when my MSD box quit working. when i was staged i would bring the rpm up a little while on the transbrake. then when the lights were comming down i would flat foot it and release the button on last yellow.

BTY what is your stall?

Kevin Leitem
09-16-2008, 05:11 PM
That's normal...unfortunately when it does that it's relaxing the drivetrain, which I'm certian creates more shock loading when the brake is released. I suppose you could have line locks (front brakes) wired in with the trans brake, so both release at the same time.

David

with mine it actually spins easier on the footbrake than transbrake. with the relaxed suspension the extra shock seems to help

fastsc92
09-16-2008, 05:58 PM
maybe those extra few inches could get you into the stage. Maybe prestage a little deep and when you activate the transbrake it'll roll forward enough to cross the stage beam....?

Or you can do what Kevin said and use your linelock in addition to the t-brake.

Go with whatever is comfortable. I'd love to see what the car does when you get a good launch. It is COOKING on the top end of the track.

SCrazy
09-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Stall is supposed to be 3500rpm but I haven't verified that yet. I like the idea of running the rpms up with the gas on the floor and releasing the brake rather than trying to hold an rpm then mashing the pedal. Sounds like I've got alot of practicing to do...to bad the nearest track is over 2 hours away.

I do still have line locks on the car so I can try to launch off of them as well although the control button for them is a little inconvenient since I really only planned on using them for burnouts.

Thanks Kevin

Brian, using the foot brake will probably yeild better results than trying to hold it at a certain RPM with the go pedal and transbrake. when i switched from stock coil to MSD coils I really didn't see any real improvement. if you really want to use the brake you can do what i did when my MSD box quit working. when i was staged i would bring the rpm up a little while on the transbrake. then when the lights were comming down i would flat foot it and release the button on last yellow.

BTY what is your stall?

David Neibert
09-16-2008, 11:10 PM
with mine it actually spins easier on the footbrake than transbrake. with the relaxed suspension the extra shock seems to help

I was more concerned about it breaking something when it suddenly takes up the slack, but I guess the converter and the tire sidewalls will absorb some of the shock.

David

fastsc92
09-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Brian,

How did you make out??

SCrazy
09-18-2008, 08:38 AM
I made 4 passes all under the Mod 3 index for the shootout with 60' times all between 1.7 and 1.8 and some tire spin. Top speeds were down a little bit but I was experiencing belt slip at high RPM, I found the blower blelt starting to peel off ribs.

I guess I'm really hoping to drop another 10th or so off the 60' and pick back up a few MPH but the consistancy was nice.

There was only one really fast (9 sec) car there last night and the rest of the crowd were straight street cars so mine was one of the faster cars at the track which was really cool.

fastsc92
09-18-2008, 10:55 AM
I made 4 passes all under the Mod 3 index for the shootout with 60' times all between 1.7 and 1.8 and some tire spin. Top speeds were down a little bit but I was experiencing belt slip at high RPM, I found the blower blelt starting to peel off ribs.

I guess I'm really hoping to drop another 10th or so off the 60' and pick back up a few MPH but the consistancy was nice.

There was only one really fast (9 sec) car there last night and the rest of the crowd were straight street cars so mine was one of the faster cars at the track which was really cool.

Must feel nice to get it dialed in. In know you've been waiting a long time for it. And the best part is, you didn't break anything before the shootout;)

Congrats on the times. It can only go faster at this point.

Ira R.
09-18-2008, 10:59 AM

Sounds like you need to step up to Pro Street :D

Ira

fastsc92
09-18-2008, 11:28 AM
he was seeing 116mph consistantly a few weeks ago....:eek: Impressive car without a doubt.

SCrazy
09-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Are you going to join me???

Sounds like you need to step up to Pro Street :D

Ira

ricardoa1
09-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Well since Mod III caps at 12.2

It must have run between 11.50 and 12.199
Thats awsome..

ricardoa1
09-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Must feel nice to get it dialed in. In know you've been waiting a long time for it. And the best part is, you didn't break anything before the shootout;)

Congrats on the times. It can only go faster at this point.

He broke the SC belt :D

SCrazy
09-18-2008, 12:50 PM
I don't have a witness or video but best was 11.92 @ 115mph. Also had a 12.09, I really had alot of fun last night

ricardoa1
09-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Thats awsome, time to change the signature. ;)

11 Second club must be an super elite club. :D

Hope to joing that club someday....Too bad I gotta do it with Nitrous. :(

SCrazy
09-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Forgot about the sig.

There....that's better

bigpoppa822
09-18-2008, 02:32 PM
I don't have a witness or video but best was 11.92 @ 115mph. Also had a 12.09, I really had alot of fun last night

Nice! I remember a few weeks ago the car was ran a 12.7 the first time down and I was too many cars back from you for the second one so I didn't see what you ran. Good times.

Ira R.
09-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Are you going to join me???

At some point. Not quite there yet I'm afraid. There's still that damn driver mod I'm trying to get right.

Ira

Ira R.
09-18-2008, 03:14 PM

Damn impressive! Not alot of 11 second cars out there yet.

Ira

David Neibert
09-18-2008, 03:32 PM

Congrats Brian !!

Don't be too concerned about the reduction in mph...it's normal to have a little lower MPH when you reduce the 60ft time.

David

David Neibert
09-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Thats awsome, time to change the signature. ;)

11 Second club must be an super elite club. :D

Hope to joing that club someday....Too bad I gotta do it with Nitrous. :(

Ricardo,

Even with nitrous, it's still impressive.

David

fastsc92
09-18-2008, 04:25 PM
....Too bad I gotta do it with Nitrous. :(

Same here...I have to use high boost and spray to get my times in the low 12's/high 11's. And on the stock bottom end...who knows how long they will last.:p

Kevin Leitem
09-18-2008, 05:34 PM
yes David is right, usually as 60's drop MPH does as well. congrats on the 11!