Smoking when acell hard?

Assuming you are relying on a stock oil pressure gauge don't sweat it. Nothing but an idiot gauge. Replace the sender. Many threads on here discussing OEM oil pressure gauge.

What color is the smoke? These cars run rich at WOT and will throw smoke under hard acceleration.

Darker smoke. If i get on it real hard it will come through ac vents. Smells like oil. Thats why i thought maybe rings? Runs and idles good doesn't seem to have a loss of compr.

Coming through the AC Vents not a good thing. Sure the PCV system is properly hooked up and working? Any sign of the dipstick getting pushed out of its holder?

Yes the lady i got it from said the dipstick came up one time. I'll check the pcv. What are you thinking it is? Thanks for your help.

in general, its not good to have fumes in the cabin of the car from say -exhaust - oils - anti-freeze's and the like. the dip stick getting pushed out means that you could have a positive pressure in the crank case and could leed to leaking of engine fuilds, in turn it gets on hot items say the exhaust then gets into the cabin, so idealy youd want that pressure to be around 0 or a negitive pressure

if you have say a black color smoke out the exhaust pipes to a degree then thats ok as long as it not super black,
if it has a blue color to it then that can be an oil smoke -rings or valve guides - white color after its warmed up on a normal temp day -water -maybe head gaskets

Last edited:
So would positive pressure come from stopped up pcv? There is also an exhaust leak towards the front of exhaust. Could that contribute to the smoke in the cabin?

If it's pushing the dipstick out and puffing a noticeable amount of smoke, you can expect to put new rings in it. Put a compression tester on each cylinder, and check out the pressure. It's a surefire way to see how bad your rings are. You need to fix the exhaust leak, and stuck pvc valve first thing. You have too many potential problems to blame it on any one thing. Start fixing the easy stuff and see what clears up.

Back