PDA

View Full Version : best performance upgrade

audiofrek19
09-15-2008, 11:57 PM
pretty soon i will have my 91 supercoupe engine in my mustang and i will about 2 grand to spend on performance upgrades. whats stuff can i buy that will give me the biggest performance increase.

superdadsc
09-16-2008, 12:38 AM
exhaust, Double IC,Overdrive pullies,TB and maf and injectors and a tune. Possibly a cam. I quess it depemds if you can do the work or not how much you will be ablr to spend on parts and if you buy used parts on the site. But the exhaust is a must and so is keeping the temps down so the computer doesn't pull the timing back when she's hot. Stephen

Toms-SC
09-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Selling it and getting something factory turbocharged. :D

audiofrek19
09-16-2008, 01:10 AM
i can do all the work myself i was thinking about getting the magnum power pack 1 on supercoupe performance.com it goes for 1700 but i not sure how much of a gain i will get out of that

XxSlowpokexX
09-16-2008, 01:58 AM
look for a 94.95 SC..
UD pulleys
10% od jackshaft
double IC or custom front mount

''From MP
Inlet
85mm TB
3.5 inch intake and some sort of wonderful MAF
255lph pump

AND A GOOD TUNE

Jamez
09-16-2008, 09:14 AM
If I were you I'd wait to see how things go when you actually get it running THEN worry about upgrades when you know you don't have to replace something or spend more than you thought.

I only say this because I'm kind of leary about what will happen when I get some tires that will put all this torque to the ground instead of going up in smoke. Seems like it will be a lot of extra force that the 3.8 drivetrain wasn't intended to take.

94MustangSC
09-16-2008, 09:50 AM
I have a SC in my Mustang. If you 7.5 rear end in your car, there's a place to start. The new engine will tear it apart. The best upgrades you can do are sub-frame connectors, used 8.8 rear end with some lower gears, and after market control arms with poly bushings. The problem with putting this engine in a Mustang is getting that power to the ground. If you look on ebay for these parts, and the junkyard or craigslist for the rear end, you should still have a grand left to blow on parts for the engine. Then an exhaust and OD pulley are a upgrade. A FMIC is a good upgrade you can do yourself for cheap in the future.

Jamez
09-16-2008, 03:54 PM
I have 3.27's and a 2600 stall and I'm almost thinking these gears are too much. You would not be able to launch with anything more than what I've got I would imagine. If you try to fix it by throwing some DR's or slicks on, you'll be replacing stuff, lol.

If you are already thinking about more power, I would stay with 3.27 or less as far as gears. Definately spend something on upgrades before the power though. In my case, I've got another AODE sitting in the garage in case it burns up and I'm using the stock 205/65/15 tires so I'm not too worried about the rear end.

94MustangSC
09-16-2008, 04:05 PM
I put 3.73's in mine, and I also think I went a little too deep. It's a manual, so I've got 5th gear for freeway cruising. I put an Auburn limited slip in, so that helps. The subframe connectors, and rear control arms with poly bushings were huge too. First gear is still useless, but 2nd really hauls ~~~. It will break loose in 2nd, but not nearly as easily as it did before the suspension work. I'm running 50 more hp than before the suspension mods, and it still hooks up and hauls. Slicks or DR's are just asking for trouble. I found a picture of a T5 tranny with the input shaft twisted a 1/4 turn, from running slicks. Yikes!

audiofrek19
09-16-2008, 05:30 PM
i have a 8.8 from my bros 92 that im gonna put in it. i know i should wait until i get it in and all im just so anxious to get it done and put some upgrades on it and all. jamez did all of your ac lines and all line up ok with the motor swap or did you just do the m90 swap.

Jamez
09-16-2008, 05:37 PM
I haven't got the AC thing figured out quite yet. Best I can tell is you can grab some AC lines from a '94/5 bird and have a hose shop splice the low side fitting from the Mustang line onto the low side of the TB line and it will bolt up that way. I've got some other things to do before I get to that part, but thats my plan.