high capacity radiator or no?

tondog

ive done quite a bit of performance and im running a 180 degree thermostat and was wondering if a double capacity all aluminum radiator is absolutely necessary. i know that out of all the radiators out there an all aluminum radiator is going to be the strongest, perhaps longest lasting, and cool more coolant, but i can pick up a radiator that is at least as efficient as the stock unit(i now stock isnt very, but hey) and it has a life time warranty for only $350usd, as opposed to $700 something for the aluminum. what shoud i do?:confused:

check your local radiator shop. Several people on here have managed to get custom made higher capacity/more efficient rads for around 500$

radiator scoop

I have a good friend and client who owns a radiator shop and he told me that going to more rows really does nothing b'cause the tubes are smaller and the end result is that going to a 3 or 4 row sound cool but is marginally an improvement at best.Told me not to waste my money.

One word - Aluminum. Most aluminum radiatiors have larger tubing in the core (1"-1 1/4") then the copper radiators do, and that equals more surface area for fin contact leading to faster cooling. Search on ebay for aluminum radiators. I'm not sure what they offer for the SC, but I have fund a few good deals that will fit the truck easily. Steve

The only aluminum radiator I have ever run across for an SC is the Griffin and its 725$ (5-spd). There were a few people discussing custom made rads for 500$ (I believe some were brass). These were not (as I understood) recored stock rads.

Back