What is the difference between a 89-93 and a 94-95?

loyter

I have read here that the 94-95 'Birds have a much better setup. What I haven't been able to find is what exactly are the differences?

I know the HP ratings are higher - why? Bigger supercharger? Better exhaust?

Are there any of the upgrades that Ford did in '94 that I can't do myself?

In case anyone is interested, I am looking to buy an SC as a donor for my '64 Falcon. (I know, sacrelidge huh?) The falcon has been full-framed, with rack and pinion, 4 wheel discs, and rack and pinion from Scott's suspension. I think that with a few mods, the SC engine can push that little 3000 pound car to a 13 second quarter mile.

So in my case, would it be worth spending extra money to get a 94-95 when I will be making fairly major mods anyway?

No its not worth getting the later engine if you are upgrading.

The heads and most of the internals are almost the same. And upgrades can be easily done to an earlier engine.

Bigger oil pump, bigger injectors, the better blower, are about the only notable upgrades that the later cars have. So if getting a Magnum powers bower then it does not matter or getting used 94-5 blower is not too hard. The bigger oil pump can be easily swaped with an aftermarket replacement from Melling. The injectors are 36#s but will be inadecuate veryshortly after adding more air.

The exhaust is about the same.

As for the EFI side of things, you need to know what transmission your going to use. If your going with an AOD or a 5spd, I'd stick with the computer setup, wiring etc from the 89-90 cars... those are the simplest of the bunch.

If your going with the 4r70w transmission, then you'll need to use all the wiring etc, EDIS and crank sensor setup from the 94-95 cars to give you control of the tranny as well.

Frit

As for the EFI side of things, you need to know what transmission your going to use. If your going with an AOD or a 5spd, I'd stick with the computer setup, wiring etc from the 89-90 cars... those are the simplest of the bunch.

If your going with the 4r70w transmission, then you'll need to use all the wiring etc, EDIS and crank sensor setup from the 94-95 cars to give you control of the tranny as well.

Frit

Good points about the transmissions, forgot about that detail.

Falcon SC

Fantastic help. Thanks guys. I will keep you posted on progress and take some pictures. I'm in for a lot of work here.

yeah bigger better yeee haaa why is the 89 5 spd the fastest?

anthoney connell went 14;85 with a stock 89 5 spd

94-95 have traction assist no trac lok geat for snow but sucky for drag racing

Back