subwoofer question

jamesdubbeld

hey guys,
the plastic tape around the edge of my subwoofer has ripped and I'm not sure the best option. I've been trying to buy a new one but they seem to be hard to find, and when I have really expensive ($170). Is it worth getting rebuilt? Am I going to run into the same problem if I buy another used one? What do you guys think?
James

The factory JBL sub, a 5" unit, performs quite well in the JBL designed enclosure. The cone membranes are prone to failure just due to age, kinda like CoolHand.

Did you look at opening the enclosure? It's sealed up tighter than a Redneck's pucker at the Gay Pride Parade!! :eek: You'll bust it all to crap trying to get it open and it will need to be completely sealed for it to sound good, even with a new woof inside. It breaks into to halves, but the factory laid Schwarzenagger (sp?) strength epoxy is simply impossible to overcome.

I recommend finding a complete used unit. Remember, any model Ford from those years with the JBL option will have this enclosure. You're not limited to MN-12 series Fords when picking through the scrap yard.

I have 3 here and they're only $169.95 ea CAD including shipping. ;) Just pulling your peepee. I have several and I can post you one for nuttin'. Of course, you pick up all shipping costs + $146.50 per hour for my labour. Just kidding again. You cover shipping and I'll wrap one up. Advise.

Or, if your near the GTA, There's BrianP's SC Emporium just north of Orangeville. You don't list your location.

Bruce

$170 a pop? :( I just bought 2 BNIB state of the art PG competition 12" subs for a few dollars above that.

Last edited:
James, I have one laying around. Still have my number? We can meet up somewhere Downtown or come on over to our meet.
Dzmitry

Back