click but no start

jnobles

This is 90 5 spd. Push in clutch just get a click. I don't put in the clutch there is no click, so I assume its not the clutch pedal switch. I could be wrong. This just started happening. Any suggestions where to start looking

Turn on the headlights and repeat that procedure.

Do they dim or not?

Is the 'click' inside the car or under the hood?

Culprits include, but not limited to:
  • ignition switch
  • battery
  • starter solenoid
  • battery cables/clamps

sounds like a starter...see what your battery voltage is, if its good, tap the starter solenoid right next to the battery.those are common or just the starter itself.

nothing is dimming, clicking coming from the black circular thing on the fender wall by the battery. Ok I guess that is ths start solenoid...

Last edited:
>guess that is ths start solenoid...

Yep - do you have a volt meter and/or battery charger? Look to see if there is voltage or any voltage drop across the solenoid towards the starter. If you know how to safely jump at the solenoid, with the car in neutral/clutch in, you might try it just to see if the starter can be engaged manually.

If the battery, cables and solenoid were all doing their part, and the starter was loading up but not engaging/turning, you would see the headlights dim when you tried to turn it over.

If the battery was low and you did the same thing, but the solenoid and starter were ok, you'd see the headlights dim.

You don't see the headlights dim, so the battery is maybe ok, but current isn't going to the starter.

One check you should do is to pull the plastic trim pieces that form the upper and lower halves of the cover between the steering wheel and the dash. This will let you eyeball the ignition switch down on the right side of the steering column.

Looks like this:
ig10221-1.jpg

See if it is intact or separating...

Last edited:
There is another starter solenoid on the starter itself. There is a small wire that clips onto it along side the large red wire. Make sure the small wire is fimly on there. Sometimes these fall off. If not the starter or solenoid might be bad.

well i tried jumping the solenoid but it didn't do anything. I will try to underneath and see if a wire got knocked off the starter

>well i tried jumping the solenoid but it didn't do anything.

Did you jumper at the solenoid near the battery to engage it manually, bypassing the ignition switch, forcing the solenoid to pass current on to the starter, or did you jump from the positive battery post, directly to the large post on the nearby solenoid that feeds straight to the starter, bypassing the solenoid's internal connection?

Good luck - let us know how it works out.

Last edited:
hey there, I just went through this problem in my 93 sc , 5 spd swap ..It was the starter, If you go to jump the starter selonoid and still nothin happens, its your starter..If it does crank and start then your selonoid is bad, worked for me

I suggest cleaning and tightening the battery cables even if it doesn't look like they need it. I've assumed they were good before only to needlessly chase other things. The battery connection is the starting point.

Engine does not turn over when attempting to start

1. Check the battery state of charge and condition. If the dash lights are not visible or very dim when turning the ignition key on, the battery has either failed internally or discharged, the battery cables are loose, excessively corroded or damaged, or the alternator has failed or internally shorted, discharging the battery. Charge or replace the battery, clean or replace the battery cables, and check the alternator output.

2. Check the starter motor, starter solenoid or relay, and starter motor cables and wires. Check the ground from the engine to the chassis. Make sure the wires are not loose, damaged, or corroded. If battery voltage is present at the starter relay, try using a remote starter to start the vehicle for test purposes only. Replace any damaged or corroded cables, in addition to replacing any failed components.

>well i tried jumping the solenoid but it didn't do anything.

Did you jumper at the solenoid near the battery to engage it manually, bypassing the ignition switch, forcing the solenoid to pass current on to the starter, or did you jump from the positive battery post, directly to the large post on the nearby solenoid that feeds straight to the starter, bypassing the solenoid's internal connection?

Good luck - let us know how it works out.

I jumped at the solenoid...also i guess i need to check the engine ground too, where is that located?

>need to check the engine ground too, where is that located?

There are two main ground cables and many other smaller connections.

There is one on the driver's side - the main one connected to the battery and one on the passenger side that goes from the motor mount area to the body, just ahead of the engine...see photo below. Look at the center of the photo...notice the black, flat ribbon-like insulated cable with the lug end bolted to the body that leads back underneath the engine towards the motor mount on that side.

>was the cable between solenoid and starter

Glad you worked out the problem...good work :)

Attachments

• Engine bay example 01.jpg
    Engine bay example 01.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
well thought i had it fixed and it happened again. I went through all the troubleshooting again, and all i got was a click. Decide to take the BFH(rubber mallet) and give the starter a couple of love taps and it started right up. Starter?

Last edited:
>Starter?

Remember, as far as the electrical systems (grounds, connectors, etc.) go on these cars, you could slap the left rear wheel and perhaps have the same effect :)

Yeah, I'd be thinking about pulling the starter and checking it out right about now. Problems don't always come solo...

well the starter solenoid relay is new, the cable between the relay and the starter is new, the battery is is putting out a good charge, thats all thats left

well the starter solenoid relay is new, the cable between the relay and the starter is new, the battery is is putting out a good charge, thats all thats left

In a logical world, sure :)

In the SC Bizzarro world...

Ignition switch....engine grounds...neutral/park safety switch...anti-theft module...aftermarket alarm ignition cut-out.

RE:No starter action

I had the same problem and found I had a bad ground cable. Endef up running a new heavy cable all the way to my starter anchoring bolt. Cranks like a champ now.

Back