PDA

View Full Version : Headlight issues!!

Justin89SC
09-18-2008, 10:46 PM
The other day my headlights stop working on my 93 SC. The high and low beams wont work at all, but then you pull on the lever, the high beams flash.

SO, today i went to the junk yard and pulled the lever off a 89 or 90 SC. I stall it and a strange thing happens. When you go to push on the lever to turn the high beams on, the regular lights work, but when you flip it back, the headlights run off. Still, you can flash the high beams by pulling on it. :confused:

My car does have the auto lights, and so does the lever off the 89. All the fuses are good, connections are good, i dont know what else it could be besides getting another lever?

KMT
09-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Check the codes on the lever...should be CAD (w/auto-dim)....not AAD (w/o auto-dim).

frdlvr30
09-18-2008, 11:49 PM
You should also check the headlight switch itself. They get very hot and sometimes melt the connector. Likely either the Main light switch or the multifunction switch if the fuses are ok...

Tim Groth
09-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Your one the right path, its either 1 of 2 things going wrong here.

#1 the headlight switch might be cooked. I've had a few MN12s that actually melt the connector in which causing the issue you're currently having.

#2 the MFS (part you already replaced) will short out causing the intermitten headlight issues.

I would work on replacing 1 or both and you should be in good shape.

-Tim

tinman_72
09-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Your one the right path, its either 1 of 2 things going wrong here.

#1 the headlight switch might be cooked. I've had a few MN12s that actually melt the connector in which causing the issue you're currently having.

#2 the MFS (part you already replaced) will short out causing the intermitten headlight issues.

I would work on replacing 1 or both and you should be in good shape.

-Tim
I second that. But I will add this:

#3 add relays so the full amperage is not coursing through the MFS and headlight switch. If you don't you will have the same problem within a year.

cbt
09-19-2008, 12:56 PM
not trying to sound to negitive, but i will, the wiring is weak at best, never had these problems on other cars ive i owned until i owned the bird
another one of them great ideas

SCTbird
09-19-2008, 01:02 PM
It is going to be the headlight switch. They fail all the time on our cars from everything I have read. I had to replace mine as well and you can get a new one from rockauto for less than $20.

bigpoppa822
09-19-2008, 03:37 PM
I had a similar problem and it was the headlight switch.

mywhite89
09-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Had similar problem and it was the turn signal lever. My harness was fried and after burning up a couple levers I replaced the harness and never had another lever internally short on me again!@ I never had a headlight switch problem in any of my birds, but I have heard of the problem. I would think if the switch was bad, moving your lever to the bright light position would not cause the lights to flicker on. Your problem is in the lever and/or harness I believe.

Chris

SCTbird
09-19-2008, 04:29 PM
The headlight switch will fry in stages or all at once. If you have parking lamps but no lows or highs then the switch is broke. If you lose highs or turn signals are not working than it is the stalk.

S_Mazza
09-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Don't forget that autolamp cars have a different MFS than the non-autolamp cars, and the two don't interchange ... they may fit, but they do not function the same. As KMT said, make sure that the entire part number matches.

My bet is that the headlamp switch wiring is damaged, and the replacement MFS is incorrect.

Justin89SC
09-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. Come to find out, i got the wrong switch out of the 89. My car does NOT have auto dim.

The auto dim switches have a blue connector and the non-auto dim have a green connector.

I got another switch out of a 92 sport, and it works great.

Come to find out, a part inside my switch melted all to hell, so was my connector, but it still works.:D

KMT
09-22-2008, 07:43 PM
>auto dim switches have a blue connector and the non-auto dim have a green connector.

dats' correct....glad you worked it out - thanks for the follow-up.

94sc500
09-25-2008, 05:07 PM
I am also having a similar headlight issue on my 93 sc however mine is a little different... when i pull the knob all the way out for headlights, headlights come on but the tail lights and gauge cluster lights dont come on, push the knob half way in and guage cluster lights and tail lights work but there is no headlights. If i play with the switch i can get them all to come on but if i hit a bump or anything the lights go out. I already ruled out the knob switch... replaced once with autozone switch and once with savage switch, the lights all worked the same as before with the old switch. I would love to get to the bottom of this anyone got ideas. I do have the auto dim switch.

Justin89SC
09-25-2008, 08:15 PM
WOW, beats the hell out of me.

It sounds like the headlight switch to me, but if you already replaced twice.

Have you looked into replacing the auto-dim switch or the headlight lever?

Good luck!

94sc500
09-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Where is the auto dim switch located? I know the auto dim function doesn't work so that may be it but i have no idea where it is.

KMT
09-26-2008, 01:03 PM
>94sc500: Where is the auto dim switch located?

Just to the right of the headlight switch...or do you mean the sensing module that sits under the inside rearview mirror...?

94sc500
10-01-2008, 05:01 PM
well my car doesn't have the knob on the right of the headlight switch... maybe i have been getting the wrong switch... i don't know i will see if the other switch will plug up to my wire harness. Maybe the previous owner just bought the wrong switch..

S_Mazza
10-01-2008, 06:07 PM
I am also having a similar headlight issue on my 93 sc however mine is a little different... when i pull the knob all the way out for headlights, headlights come on but the tail lights and gauge cluster lights dont come on, push the knob half way in and guage cluster lights and tail lights work but there is no headlights. If i play with the switch i can get them all to come on but if i hit a bump or anything the lights go out. I already ruled out the knob switch... replaced once with autozone switch and once with savage switch, the lights all worked the same as before with the old switch. I would love to get to the bottom of this anyone got ideas. I do have the auto dim switch.

It sounds like you have a loose connector or a bad wire near the switch. Did you check those things out when you replaced the switch?

94sc500
10-06-2008, 11:32 AM
as far as i can tell i had no loose wires at the switch... does anyone know if the switches have the same plug?