decent upgrades while motor out

onthedwnlow

im actually in the process of mocking this motor and trans up in a 92 ford ranger.........i bought a set of 3.8 mustang pacesetter long tubes with the 2.5 collector........i figure im going to have to cut them up anyway to make them fit so the cheapies will be fine.......what are some other decent upgrades to do to the motor that are better to do while the motor is out?........im gonna go ahead and replace the head gaskets and use arp studs and have the heads ported while they are out also.......what else?

also im hearing the best street clutch is the centerforce.......but i can not find it anywhere

Last edited:
Centerforce Dual Friction..Should be able to find it, fairly common.

You might consider a cam swap, and a oil pump upgrade if the motor is from a pre 94 sc. Pick up some bigger injectors as well.

i cant find a company besides scp that sells any sc parts.......is most of it pretty exchangable between some mustangs and what not?.....

im not sure what year the motor came out of.......i got it in a trade with some other parts....but i got everything........motor, ecu, harness, trans, and alot of other misc parts that came on the car.....

who sells the oil pump upgrade?

im trying to keep the cost down while doing this........and add some of the easily accesable parts on later.....i really just want to get this thing done

who sells the oil pump upgrade?

im trying to keep the cost down while doing this........and add some of the easily accesable parts on later.....i really just want to get this thing done

Upgraded pump is a Melling M246, which is what is used in the 94/95 motor. most parts stores can get this part. Most auto parts stores can get you parts for the engine.

Keeping costs down and working on a thunderbird SC are typically mutually exclusive. I suggest taking a hard look at what you want to do, and add up all the costs before you start buying pieces.

Upgraded pump is a Melling M246, which is what is used in the 94/95 motor. most parts stores can get this part. Most auto parts stores can get you parts for the engine.

Keeping costs down and working on a thunderbird SC are typically mutually exclusive. I suggest taking a hard look at what you want to do, and add up all the costs before you start buying pieces.

ok i will look that up tomorrow

i have been told many times to not even worry with this motor and just do a 5.0 swap in it but i really want to try something diffrent......i figure one of these motors in a much lighter chassis like this ranger will run really good......im dropping almost a thousand pounds of weight

what is kinda confusing to me is tuning on this motor......im used to map cars not maf......

Back