PDA

View Full Version : help flywheel/crank problem

nova72sc
09-21-2008, 11:42 AM
i have 2 90 SC'c one was an auto and the other a 5 speed, 5 speed head gaskets went out rebuilt the auto engine and placed in 5 speed car, after swapping motors i cannot seem to get the flywheel to line up with the crank holes, am i just an idiot or is there a difference in the cranks??? (please tell me i am an idiot, lol) :confused:

aplvlydrtybird
09-21-2008, 12:02 PM
shouldn't be, try rotating the flywheel so the holes line up. and make sure you don't have the auto flexplate on there if its going into the 5 speed.

the-big-e
09-21-2008, 12:25 PM
You are not an idiot.....

Rotate the flywheel till the holes line up.....

mannysc
09-21-2008, 12:48 PM
yes rotate till it lines up fits only in 1 position

nova72sc
09-21-2008, 03:18 PM
thanks for not calling me an idiot i did try to install it again and last night i rubbed some snake oil on it so when i tired today i was able to get it to fit lol, thank you all very much, one more ?, the auto crank has a huge machined hole in the end and my manual one has the roller bearing with what appears to be a large insert, can i remove that insert and place it in the auto crank? thank you all very much, one more step closer to getting my bird on the road.

Black89XR7
09-21-2008, 03:59 PM
You are refering to the pilot bearing in the 5 speed crank. You will need to remove that before you install the flexplate on there. They can be a pain to get out, especially in one piece. What i do is get a slide hammer and thread one of the attachments into the pilot bearing and use the slide hammer to get it out.

edit: oops i thought you were putting the 5 speed engine in the auto car, you just need to go get a new pilot bearing. It will be near impossible to get the pilot bearing out in one piece and still be able to use it. If i remember correctly they are under $10 at advance auto.

nova72sc
09-21-2008, 04:31 PM
yes i have a stage 2 clutch and pressure plate from SCP, also comes with new pilot bearing, throw out and alignemnt tool, i am aware i need to replace the bearing but the 5 speed crank has a thick ring (about 3/16-1/4 of an inch thick) that goes between the crank and the pilot bearing, can i uy a new one or try to transfer it to the auto crank

Young-SC-Owner
09-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Ok you can call me stupid......

Whats Snake Oil?

nova72sc
09-21-2008, 04:37 PM
lol snake oil is something people refer to such as the HHO conversions basically a non existent item that is essentially bogus, but i did do an HHO conversion and had good results but most people refer to HHO as something similar to snake oil (bogus)

Young-SC-Owner
09-21-2008, 04:53 PM
aah....Its all coming clearly to me
Clear as snake oil:confused:

KMT
09-21-2008, 05:22 PM
>They can be a pain to get out, especially in one piece.

Pack the recess w/wheel bearing grease...insert your clutch alignment tool and slap it with a hammer.

In the OP's case, however, a new one is called for.

Black89XR7
09-22-2008, 01:09 AM
yes i have a stage 2 clutch and pressure plate from SCP, also comes with new pilot bearing, throw out and alignemnt tool, i am aware i need to replace the bearing but the 5 speed crank has a thick ring (about 3/16-1/4 of an inch thick) that goes between the crank and the pilot bearing, can i uy a new one or try to transfer it to the auto crank

The new pilot bearing should have come with that ring, or at least the one i bought came with it.