PDA

View Full Version : Clutch went out :(

BArtkowsky
09-21-2008, 09:57 PM
The bird is down for the count again, the clutch went out on my way home from work. I managed to get it home though. The turn into my driveway was literally no clutch left.

aplvlydrtybird
09-21-2008, 10:00 PM
i have had great luck with my spec clutch....if you were looking for suggestions on a new one...also have heard good words for the centerforce ones as well

BArtkowsky
09-21-2008, 10:13 PM
i was looking at a centerforce but seen the spec clutch on supercoupe performance.com and think i will go with that when i get the money, It had been down for a few weeks now, i havent had a chance to get on here, I miss drivin my car :( It looks good sittin there, lol Question though I know i have to drop the gas tank to get the diveshaft off, and i have to take the exhaust off also, but do i have to pull some of the supercharger parts off to get to the top transmission bolts? Its a 92

rickbtbird
09-21-2008, 10:29 PM
i was looking at a centerforce but seen the spec clutch on supercoupe performance.com and think i will go with that when i get the money, It had been down for a few weeks now, i havent had a chance to get on here, I miss drivin my car :( It looks good sittin there, lol Question though I know i have to drop the gas tank to get the diveshaft off, and i have to take the exhaust off also, but do i have to pull some of the supercharger parts off to get to the top transmission bolts? Its a 92

How many miles did you get on that one?

aplvlydrtybird
09-21-2008, 10:49 PM

nothing on the top should have to come off, most the bolts can be reach from the bottom or around the side on the top. it will certainly be easier to remove the sc and intake and tb off all as one to make more room, but that is fairly easy just a few bolts. but try long extensions to get the upper trans. bolts out first.

Pit Bird
09-22-2008, 03:39 PM
You do not have to drop the gas tank just drop the rear center section and slide the drive shaft back out of the trans. I have pulled two of them and have never had to touch the top of the engine. Some extensions and swivels do the trick on the top trans bolts. If you have not had your motor mounts done it would be a great time to do them while the trans is out. I think you will be happy with the spec clutch as well they grab very nicely.

BArtkowsky
09-22-2008, 08:02 PM
it had 133k on it when i bought it in 2001, now it has 183k on it, not sure when or if the clutch was ever replaced, but i know the guy used to drag race it at carlisle, it had mickey thompson slicks on the back when i bought it so im guessing he had to do something with it

Dahoopd
09-22-2008, 09:11 PM
I found it easier to just take off the TB and intake tube to get to the top bolt on the passenger side, the drivers side takes a little time.

BArtkowsky
09-25-2008, 03:48 PM
i head the spec clutches were rebuildable and bolted together, anyone have any issues with them falling apart?

aplvlydrtybird
09-25-2008, 06:19 PM
not sure whether they are or not, but they are a good clutch i can tell you that.

BArtkowsky
09-27-2008, 06:08 PM
was thinking of just the spec stage 1, or maybe the stage 2, not sure, does anyone have the stage 1, is it work ok or should i go with the 2

aplvlydrtybird
09-27-2008, 06:23 PM
i went with a stage 3 very stiff pedal, never slips though. would probably recommend the stage 2.