Symptoms of a bad clutch master cylinder

Dahoopd

Justy wondering if there are symptoms when its bad. The problem started when it was cold. I pushed the clutch in to start the car, it popped and went to the floor. I assumed it was the slave, I tried bleeding it and got no pressure. Well I replaced the slave and when I pulled out the old one, I didnt see any issues with it.

I assume if there is something bad with them it must be internal but there isnt much to them. While replacing the slave, I got to thinking maybe it was the MC and not the slave.

Any sypmtoms to prove otherwise?

Why would you assume that it was the slave that was bad when you tried to bleed it and got no pressure? It is the master cylinder that provides the pressure to the slave. Are you sure the pop you got wasn't from the master cylinder pushrod connection to the clutch pedal giving out?

Use your foot or hand to lift up on the pedal. If the linkage has been disconnected, which it sounds like, you'll realize it right away. The good news is that happened in your driveway. The bad news is that your probably gonna have to remove your clutch pedal and and fix the part that has been worn down over the years since the little plastic bushing gave up the ghost. Buy the plastic bushing from ford while you can, they are much better that the help section replacement part.

good luck
Bob

After reading the last 3 replies. It got me to thinking. "You never checked the clutch pedal rod you idiot" So I went out and looked and damn if the clip isnt broken. So instead of a $2 clip, my car has sat for three years and eaten 5k in changes. I could have been driving the car the next day. Oh well, I guess the things done to it may never gotten done if I wasnt an idiot.

It pays to be a member of this club and it pays to ask questions.....first that is. Sometimes I want to punch myself in the face.

Well I assume the clutch MC is bad. I have a new slave, new hydraulic line and replaced the clip on the pedal and there isn't any pressure build up on the pedal.

In the past when you when you bled the clutch you could hear the fluid in the line being pressurized. I've got nothing. There were no signs of leaking when the car went down for what I thought was the slave?

Get the car up so you can get into the inspection cover on the tranny. Then use a pry bar or something to push the throw-out (and slave) back toward the tranny a couple times. Then pump it and I bet you'll get pressure then. I have had to do this before, and was so glad when it worked.

Cheers
Bob

Get the car up so you can get into the inspection cover on the tranny. Then use a pry bar or something to push the throw-out (and slave) back toward the tranny a couple times. Then pump it and I bet you'll get pressure then. I have had to do this before, and was so glad when it worked.

Cheers
Bob

I ordered a new MC, maybe mine is bad. I figured I would try it before prying on anything.

Back