Hey guys...a little help with the water pump

Mack92SC

O.K.....it's Sunday Morning, and I have everything removed to take the water pump off down to the power steering pump bracket. The Haynes Manual I have is not specific as to where the bolts to remove the bracket are. Is this the best way to go....or should I go get a pulley puller to remove the power steering pump pulley. ALSO, will the puller clear the IC. After reading all the problems people have re-sealing the tubes, I would like to avoid that if it all possible. Any help, hints, and/or "tricks" would be greatly appreciated right about now!

Mack
92SC
"Damn water pump only lasted 171,000 miles!" :)

Last edited:
You don't need to pull the p/s pulley to do the water pump. There is a bracket that has 2 bolts attached to the water pump, and two bolts attached to the P/S pump.

I think you should be able to get at them with a wrench behind the pulley. Though a pulley removal tool is not a bad investiment. Yes, the puller should clear the I/C as not like a typicall puller. It's just a threaded rod threaded into an assembly that captures the head of the pulley. You'll likely need to torque on it pretty good to pull it off.

As far as the IC tubes. Get the gaskets from Tbird88. For around $20.00 any issue with sealing the tubes should be history.

Tbird88's For Sale Page

Here is a picture where i circled the bolts for the bracket on the water pump.

bracketbolts.jpg

I'll look at it more when I get home to see if there might be any other hints. Just take it easy and it should work out.

The P/S pulley removal tool I had had to be "modofied" to clear the IC. I think it came off okay, but when you reinstall it, the bolt will be too long. Just something to keep in mind. You can get that bracket off without removing the pulley as stated above, but it sure makes it a lot easier.

Removing the PS pulley really makes the whole job go easier. Plus, it gives you a chance to clean out the IC. Many of us used copper rtv to reseal the IC tubes with good results.

Rene

Thanks for responses!! I went down to the Auto Parts Store and bought a Power Steering Pulley Puller. The puller was short enough to get the pulley off the power sterring pump....and you were right Kevin, I did have to shorten the bolt a little to press it back on. Job's done....everything works O.K.! Thanks for the advice and tips guys!!

Mack
92 SC
171,000 miles
"hope the new water pump is good for ANOTHER 171,000 miles!" :D

Back