Buying power steering lines

trackjunkie

So thanks to our love of salting roads up here in the northeast, my car needs all four of the lines that go into the power steering rack up by the input shaft. I cannot seem to find any of them for sale. I have found the high pressure line, put only as far as that stupid little elbow that goes into the rack.
I need that elbow, the fitting the low pressure return lines goes onto, and the two lines that go from the pinion area down to each side of the rack body.
Any idea where I can buy these?
Are the fittings standard enough that I could make them?
Do I have to buy a whole rack to get some of this?

Thanks for any input.

This whole thing has me seriously pissed off. I'm about ready to shoot the next salt truck driver I see, and the ford engineer who figured out how to bury those fittings underneath every other single piece of car possible.

As for the lines on the rack itself and the small metal elbow that come out of the rack, the only place you might be able to get those is Ford. I think the elbow is discontinued, but you might be able to get one.

Now if you buy a remanufactured rack, the two lines on the rack are included, but the elbow will not be.

I think you could make a new elbow for the rack, but I am not sure of the fitting sizes. I also don't weld or braze, so that would be a problem for me.

i got an elbow from a plain tbird outback what a tough job i had eo take the whole rack loose and it was still hard to reach it took from 2 oclock till 6 oclock till i took them both apart and fixed it

Attachments

• PA120045.JPG
    PA120045.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 101
Glad you got it. That does sound like a pain. Is that picture of the bad one or the good one? (I am guessing bad?)

Also, do you know what the fitting sizes are on that thing?

Back