PDA

View Full Version : Starting problems after car gets hot

93atlsc
09-27-2008, 02:15 PM
My 93 is hard to start after it gets hot. The tachometer stays on zero and the check engine light pops on. The code reads 538, insufficient rpm change during (DRT) dynamic response test, or throttle position movement. Sometimes the rpm gauge will start reading, but the check engine light will still stay on. The car will ride sluggish like its missing throughout driving speed range. I thought it was the DIS module,but after replacing it with a good one it still does the same thing. Could it be the TPS sensor? Help please! Thanx.

KMT
09-27-2008, 02:31 PM
>hard to start after it gets hot

As in?

nothing happens
engine spins over slowly or halts
takes more than one try

Any work done lately?

You'll want to start checking all engine ground paths, cables, etc. Clean or replace as required.

Code indicates tests weren't performed properly.

'Check engine light' on during cranking?

Suspects:

wiring
starter/solenoid
ignition switch
crankshaft sensor
camshaft sensor
coil pack (can kill DIS modules so be careful)
some/all of the above

fturner
09-27-2008, 03:05 PM
My 93 is hard to start after it gets hot. The tachometer stays on zero and the check engine light pops on. The code reads 538, insufficient rpm change during (DRT) dynamic response test, or throttle position movement. Sometimes the rpm gauge will start reading, but the check engine light will still stay on. The car will ride sluggish like its missing throughout driving speed range. I thought it was the DIS module,but after replacing it with a good one it still does the same thing. Could it be the TPS sensor? Help please! Thanx.

The code your getting for dynamic response test is because the throttle wasn't goosed enough for it to read it, so no big deal there. Try it again, but REALLY get into the throttle.

For the DIS module, what did you use for a heat sink paste?

Frit

93atlsc
09-27-2008, 04:40 PM
It takes four or five tries sometimes. It will turn over and then just stop and I have to try and crank it again. Sometimes it cranks right up though. The tach remains on zero after the car is running. After it finally cranks I smell what i believe is exhaust gas. What happens when oxygen sensors go bad? I bought some heat sink compound from a radio shack.

KMT
09-27-2008, 05:02 PM
>What happens when oxygen sensors go bad?

It isn't oxygen sensors.

>It will turn over and then just stop and I have to try and crank it again.

Typical when the car has electrical issues affecting starting circuits that includes grounds, wiring harness/connectors and coil/DIS/crank & cam sensors.

Start here... (http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni/images/tbird/DISnostart/DIS%20No%20Start.htm)

fturner
09-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Your describing a rich startup situation. Pull the DIS off, clean it off of as well as the mount area on the bracket and put a very thin coat of the thermal compound you have and remount it.

Frit

Cobra85
09-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Try replacing your cam sensor. Sounds simular to a problem I had with my old 93.

93atlsc
09-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Wouldn't a bad cam sensor bring up a code? Does a bad cam sensor cause the tach to remain on zero? I just did a diagnostic and got a code 225 saying (knock sensor not sensed).Is my knock sensor bad? With KOEO i got a code 565 (canister purge ciruit failure).

thunderkid84
09-30-2008, 08:34 AM
change the cam sensor i bet it'll run alot better

SuperCB
09-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Does a bad cam sensor cause the tach to remain on zero?
It can. I just went through the same thing, but my tach would start and stop at random, even while driving. I removed my two year old cam sensor and re-installed my old one and all is well.

93atlsc
10-01-2008, 09:59 PM
It was the cam sensor, all is well. Thanks guys!