Exhaust Help

1owner89

Hi Guys,

I’ve put together my own exhaust and for some reason I’m having trouble getting a good seal on the manifold/downtube joint. They are SCP 2.25” downtubes and the manifolds are ported out to 2”. The downtubes came with the pipe seam still on the flange so I already ground that down flush with a file. It doesn’t sound that bad but I can put my hand up around the flange and feel the exhaust leak on both sides. I cranked the nuts down as tight as I can go. Any suggestions?

this problem bothered me so much it was the number one reason for purchasing long tube headers. if you have an extra set of exhaust manifolds you can try shaping the downtube against the manifold with a hammer. i also tried using the lead tube doughnut gaskets that are used on chevy's with spring bolts. since are cars dont use spring bolts they wore out pretty quickly. that did seal perfectly though. could also try loading up the downtube with high temp silicone, just give it plenty of time to dry so it doesn't blow out. hope this helps

I'm having similar trouble except with a moded 97 v8 exhaust. Replaced my brazed joints with welds at a shop and now the exhaust angles are wrong and wont bolt up, thus I couldnt bring the frozen SC to the shootout. Sanding the manifold "balls" seemed to help when it bolted up:rolleyes:

Back