New girl here...

S

scgurlie

Just got a 90sc for my 18th birthday ( which is tomorrow ~ yey me!) and i was just wondering if anyone could tell me a little more about the type of car

New car

It`s the type of car that needs a lot of repairs! So go easy on it check the oil and trany fluid and don`t let it over heat ever! But when they run they are a great car to have. Pete 90 SC too.

SCgurlie,
it might help to know that you have a bunch of the S/Cal guys near you also. You should go to the Southern Cal. board and intro yourself . Your in the S/Cal area and should join us in some of the events and what have you not.

At any rate Welcome....Kurt Sr (N/Cal)

Welcome to the club - care to post any pic's of your new ride? Oh, yeah, one important word of advice: Keep an eye on the Supercharger fluid. You do not want that thing to give out on you (cha-ching). By the way, you do know that the newbies have to buy lunch for the rest of the club, right? It's written on the handbook, I swear.

1990 - Second year of the Thuderbird SC. Nearly the same as the 1989.

Required Modifications:
Replace Stock Exhaust Resonator if it hasn't already been done.

Common/Easy modifications:
Removed Air Silencer
K&N Panel Filter
5% pulley
Taurus Cup Holder mod.
70mm Mass Airflow Housing

Common issues:
Failed Motor Mounts
Failed ABS Brake Accumulator
Failed Head Gasket (if stock exhaust resonator left in)
Failed Radiator Fan (low speed or high speed or both)
Rear Brake slide pins frozen
Rust

I thought the catalytic converters were the big exhaust problem? It's the resonator? That would be easier/cheaper to replace.

Rust? WTH?! In Southern California that's not really an issue unless you parked it near the ocean and the sand got into it.

Al

There are many San Diengo people that you should meet and or introduce yourself to.

See Al, you scared her away with that stupid pic. of yourself in that pink chicken out fit :p Hmmm .... glad you didn't show Ron in that pink swim suit...yeeesh! You never get her to a meet ever!!!!! j/k! She would be out selling it the next day;)

Kurt Sr

This is really in the wrong place....

great car

before everyone scares you let me tell you theyre are great cars with some probles but most are fixed with some exhaust mods theyre very reliable very good handlong great breaks and very good aceleration and top speed o doubt any of your friend is gonna have a faster car and yet so comfortable..besides it doesnt atract cops like mustangs or rice-o-mobiles and theyre great @long trips

The #1 issue in the exhaust system is the Resonator. Without a doubt.

exhaust%20pic%201.gif

#2 in the exhaust is the Cat Converters, specifically the drivers side:

exhaust%20pic%202.gif

But #1 restricts really bad. Replace that puppy before doing anything that increases air flow.

uhh no

Failed Head Gasket (if stock exhaust resonator left in)

that is not the reason the gaskets fail. They fail because they are a crappy design. Denotation, aluminum heads, lacking changing the antifreeze every year, crappy exhaust all add to the problem. But by no means the reason the gaskets fail due to the resonator.

Chris

Although the head gasket design is questionable and disimilar metals are used for the heads and block, increasing the air flow of the stock exhaust system will contribute significantly to their lifespan. This is due to the fact that an increase in air flow from the exhaust also allows heat to escape the cylinder chambers faster and releases combustion byproducts faster. Both of these things, heat and backpressure, are a significant contributor to head gasket failure. <A HREF="http://www.sccoa.com/articles/cwexhaust.html">here</A> is a technical reference. Many members and SC owners of the past have explored this issue, and have come to the conclusion that the catalytic converter and resonator are 2 of the largest culprits for backpressure in the stock exhaust system. being that the resonator is usually cheaper a&/or easier to change than a high flow catalytic converter, this is usually changed first. Now of course a regular maintainance schedule including oil, coolant, tuneup and lub changes always increases the cars lifespan and keeps it in better condition longer. Being that the metal in the top of this engine is disimilar from the block, regular coolant changes are especially beneficial. As are high octane gasoline and regular tuneups to prevent ping, or detonation. But in any case, exhaust upgrades go a long way to help the head gaskets.

scgurlie

Just keep reading everything you can on this site and TBSCEC and you will learn A LOT very quickly!!! I just got my SC 1.5 years ago and I feel like I've learned enough to help me throughout the life of this car. You should go to the Southern California forum to talk to members around where you live and get advice on shops, meets etc... I live in North San Diego County (Carlsbad) and we are having a meeting at Carlsbad Raceway on the 28th if you really want to see what these cars are capable of you should come!!!!

Back