Inspection Points on Used Motor

rickbtbird

I'm looking for a list of inspection points on a used motor that out of the car.

I don't want to remove the head if they don't need to be fixed.
Is there a way to do a compression check while it out of the car?
How about the bottom end, I was thinking of removing the oil pan and checking the bearings. What should I be looking for and how easy are the bearing replacements?

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for a list of inspection points on a used motor that out of the car.

I don't want to remove the head if they don't need to be fixed.
Is there a way to do a compression check while it out of the car?
How about the bottom end, I was thinking of removing the oil pan and checking the bearings. What should I be looking for and how easy are the bearing replacements?

Thanks in advance.

if you still have the bell housing on the engine then just crank the motor using the starter for compression test.

>...inspection points on a used motor that out of the car.

• Leak-down test
  • Borescope the cylinders, intake, exhaust & coolant cavities
  • Have the oil analyzed
  • Read the spark plugs
  • Check freeze plugs w/magnifying glass for corrosion
  • Inspect crank (both ends) for wear grooves at the seals

...and keep in mind that this type of cursory inspection will only get you so much. A tear down is the only way to have any kind of confidence when it comes to a used engine's service life.

are you tearing that poor car apart again. btw i did make the shootout - it was a blast

Glad to hear from you and you made it to the shootout. That's great because I know how much you wanted to go. It does sound like a blast. Maybe next year for me if the 95 holds up. The doctor put me back to work so I can do anything I want now. Too bad I had to go back to work but I'm working from home two to three days a week but long hours.

The 95 is running great. Now that the cooler weather has settled in it's really running like a raped ape. I drive it more then the Caddy. They're going to burry me in it.

Since I got rid of my 90 I sold most of the spare parts that I was using to back up it. Glenn from Torrington, CT picked up my spare rims two weeks ago. Almost all the motor parts have been sold except the block. If you know anybody that wants it, all they have to do it pick it up, no charge. The only things left on it are the oil and knock sensor. Likely, it would be best if it was used for a bore/oversize. I think I also still have the exhaust manifolds, oil pump, timing chain and oil pan. If you want them, just pick them up next time you're passing through.

About a month ago I picked up a used 95 motor complete locally. It was running prior to it being pulled. I'm keeping this one for a back up. I just wanted to go through it and if it needed it, rebuild/refresh. It's on the engine stand now. I'm hoping it will be my winter project. I got it stripped own to the intake right now. If I need to I'll remove the heads and referb and the oil pan and install new bearings and rings if that's necessary. I guess there's really only one way to tell. Tear it down. If all goes well maybe pull my current motor in a couple of years and replace and rebuild again. I already went through the blower and associated parts and it looks good. Just need some paint.

Root for the Sox.... Later.

Back