Can this be an alignment issue?

Dahoopd

I just finished replacing the gears, cobra hub upgrade and cutting the springs. I thought the drivers wheel being tilted in prior to starting this project was a bad bearing on the drivers side. After all of the work I assume something else is up. The passenger wheel is sitting straight and equal to the fender lip while the drivers side is tilted in.

Any ideas?

lol...whats an SC without band-aid wrappers laying all over the ground

Attachments

• Car 001.jpg
    Car 001.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Car 002.jpg
    Car 002.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 129
looks like the bushing is shot on the upper control arm. i would jack it up and see if it moves around.

did you replace that nut on the halfshaft? thats exactly how mine looked when i reused mine after i did my spindle swap. Your never suppose to reuse those nuts because they become brittle and break, I replaced mine with grade 8 nuts from the local hardware store. Now its just as straight as ever.

check it out, i bet that halfshaft nut is loose.

did you replace that nut on the halfshaft? thats exactly how mine looked when i reused mine after i did my spindle swap. Your never suppose to reuse those nuts because they become brittle and break, I replaced mine with grade 8 nuts from the local hardware store. Now its just as straight as ever.

check it out, i bet that halfshaft nut is loose.

I replaced both of them and torqued them down to 250#

If you mean the upper bushing in the knuckle, it looked fine. Unless they can be bad without visual appearance.

not the bushing in the knuckle but the bushing in the upper control arm. its the one they use to align the rear.

It was like this before you did the gears, springs, etc?? I was gonna suggest spring installed heights?? Meaning the driverside spring is too short? Could be something as simple as an alignment. Tho that looks like quite a bit of negative camber. Atleast neg 2-2.5 degrees from the looks of the picture.

Last edited:
It was like this before you did the gears, springs, etc?? I was gonna suggest spring installed heights?? Meaning the driverside spring is too short? Could be something as simple as an alignment. Tho that looks like quite a bit of negative camber. Atleast neg 2-2.5 degrees from the looks of the picture.

Yes, it was like that before and though I was stupid with the car prior to fixing it now, I assumed doing many many donuts caused the issue and screwed the bearing up.

Does the upper control arm cause the camber issue? I assume the upper control arm is the black metal arm that the top knuckle bolt goes through? If that's the case than it may be the culprit. Both seemed kinda sloppy when I pulled the knuckles.

I do appreciate the help.

Yes, it was like that before and though I was stupid with the car prior to fixing it now, I assumed doing many many donuts caused the issue and screwed the bearing up.

Does the upper control arm cause the camber issue? I assume the upper control arm is the black metal arm that the top knuckle bolt goes through? If that's the case than it may be the culprit. Both seemed kinda sloppy when I pulled the knuckles.

I do appreciate the help.

yes the inside mount to frame has a bushing with an offset hole so as it is rotated it slides the upper control arm in and out changing camber. i had to change these a couple years ago. shattered a wheel bearing and destroyed that upper control arm bushing when i encountered a severe loss of rear wheel traction leaving a local car show.

All of the rear end bushing are available from TRW except the lower knuckle to lower control arms bushings. I got a complete set including the toe link compensator(except for the ones noted) through Advanced Auto. Be very careful when trying to install the upper control arm bushings though. Very easy to bend the arm.

I'm going to take the easy way...

After scratching my head till I was losing my hair, I finally just took my car to my local alignment shop. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes is all that is needed to find the problem quickly.
A set of upper conrol arm bushings, re-alignment and viola! Back on the road, all safe and sound!
In my humble opinion, sometimes all you need is a different set of eyes looking at the problem. They will check it out for you and tell you the problem as they see it. You don't have to have them fix it, just help you figure out the problem.(I would take it back there to have the front and rear alignment checked when you are finished though.)
Just my take on it,
Lance

After scratching my head till I was losing my hair, I finally just took my car to my local alignment shop. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes is all that is needed to find the problem quickly.
A set of upper conrol arm bushings, re-alignment and viola! Back on the road, all safe and sound!
In my humble opinion, sometimes all you need is a different set of eyes looking at the problem. They will check it out for you and tell you the problem as they see it. You don't have to have them fix it, just help you figure out the problem.(I would take it back there to have the front and rear alignment checked when you are finished though.)
Just my take on it,
Lance

This is very true...Sometimes the problem is so obvious you can easily overlook it...

Back