Double intercooler istall problem

Jimmy 2Coupes

SCCoA Member
OK I got one of Ken Wagners dbl's and installed it yesterday. The problem is it set's way to close to the radiator. I've moved the radiator over as far as the factory mounting will allow and tried different sequences of tightening everything down to no avail. On hard throttle I'm sure engine torque over will have the intercooler pressed up hard against the radiator. The only other thing I can see to do at this time is move the radiator over more which would be a PITA since it's over as far as I can get it with the factory mounting. So if anyone has experienced this problem I'd welcome any insight/advice I can get. Also, which 8” Perma cool fan (part# please) fits the threaded inserts on Ken's dbl's with the fan shroud? I purchased Perma cool's 8” RPM 19128 and the mounting holes are too far apart and don't match up with Ken's threaded mounting holes.

Ive had this happen on one of my dbl ic's place a 1/4 inch thick washer between the mounts on lower and upper ic tubes where they mount to alt brcket and to lower ic mount it will move the ic over 1/4 inch towards battery you should have like 1 inch room there dont go much farther as lower ic will hit upon aceleration as motor torques up and over just what worked for me . on my home brewed dbl ic .

Last edited:
Install

From what I've seen, most people cut a small section out of the radiator bracket after they take off the stock IC Boot, maybe you did this already?

Tom

I have same problem with the ic hitting the rad, I am going to follow any suggestions also and I have the same perma cool 19128 and have no issues with my dble ic.

Jimmy, you might have to cut the part of the radiator out to make it fit. I also have problems with mine hitting the lower K member. Loosen all the connections including the collar nut, then I stick a screwdriver thu the hole (where the bolt used to be for the lower intercooler tube to that stupid little bracket) in the lower intercooler tube thru the bracket, and try to align from there. Mine still does rub on the top on the radiator sometimes, I'll take a snap shot and post it in a bit.

Back