PDA

View Full Version : Please help with unfixable brakes

CKSC
09-15-2002, 07:01 PM
Ok, so I've taken this car multiple mechanics and got replies like, "Sorry I cant read the codes, get it out of here", or how about this from the dealerhship, "Errr... the car won't fit on our rakes, you need to pick it up right now." Anyway, it seems that no-one wants to work on my brake problem. Here is the deal: About 90% of the time the brake pedal is hard as a rock and the ABS and Brake lights are both on. About 5% of the time (normally a few minutes after I start it) the brake pedal feel normal and the brakes work, but the ABS and Brake light are still on the ABS doesn't work (although sometimes if I brake hard enough the ABS goes off but the Brake light is still on. And lastly about %5 of the time the ABS and Brake light go off and the brakes work get, but after about the 5 or 10 minutes and lights come back on again the pedal is rock hard again. Any ideas? I replaced the unit ABS unit about 18 months ago, and Ive tried replacing the relay. Could it be the computer or something else? I konw one of you has had this problem before right? Thanks a lot.

Kevin Varnes
09-15-2002, 08:53 PM
Read this article by Duffy and you should be able to fix whatever is wrong by yourself and not have to pay someone to do it. Good luck!

Duffy's ABS Article (http://www.zianet.com/SCCoSW/Articles/ABS.HTML)

MIKE 38sc
09-15-2002, 09:00 PM
Well when the lights come on when you brake but you have brakes and can stop, that means the system has pressure. However it has pressure because the pump is running and providing pressure to the system. This usually means the accumulator has gone bad. You also state that sometimes both lights come on and you have a very stiff pedal. This means that the accumulator is not holding pressure AND the pump is NOT WORKING! CKSC it sounds as if you have several problems with the ABS unit. Contact Prioreman Mfg. they should be able to help you.

CKSC
09-15-2002, 09:23 PM
could it be a loose wire somewhere or a moody computer ?

MIKE 38sc
09-15-2002, 09:36 PM
To be honest with you yes, part of the problem could be wiring related. Not ALL of the problems are wiring related though. Really need more info to pin it down any further.

Kevin Varnes
09-15-2002, 09:59 PM
When you replaced the ABS unit did you replace the accumulator as well? Also, I believe there are two relays on the firewall for the ABS system. Did you read Duffy's article? It really helps.

CKSC
09-16-2002, 12:57 AM
I know about the brown ABS fuse near the top, where is the other one? thanks, I am in the process of reading that article

Kevin Varnes
09-16-2002, 01:35 AM
The two relays I am referring to are on the passenger side of the firewall. They are right next to each other. I think one is brown and one is black (just going from memory).