Oil Pan Drain Plug Size?

RavageVJS2D

I just took out an old FRAM quick drain plug, and a long spring came out behind it bent and not able to be re-used. I've determined this is bad for me due to I do not have the original plug. What size bolt is the original plug and does anyone know where I may be able to get it? I'll try to call Ford tomorrow, but they may not be open on Sunday. I was hoping to run to a Lowe's and get the bolt! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just got my bird running after a year and a half of sitting, then went to change the oil....never saw this coming.

Thanks,

- Denis R

Should be M14 thread. Ford part number is F75Z 6730 BA at the dealer, but the local parts store should have something too. Same plug was used on many of the 90s Ford engines.

cheers
Ed N.

Thank you!

Thanks Ed,

This helped me finally find a site that listed the full spec. I found it at this location http://www.cgenterprises.com/ford.htm

For quick reference on future searches that may arise, it is a 14mm-1.50 bolt.

Thank you for the quick response! I can hopefully fill it up tomorrow morning and take it for a nice Sunday drive.

Last edited:
Eh...not big enough!

I just tried to put the bolt in M14 x 1.5, no luck. It slipped right in. I suppose I'll step it up to a M15 if I can find one and try that out. I'm assuming the 1.5 is still accurate. This is a 1990 5-Speed SuperCoupe by the way, I can't recall if I mentioned that or not.

Thanks for your assistance....any other ideas? Anyone?

HeliCoil?

Any one heard of these, it seems as the hole was tapped out and the piece of metal spring material that came out was the HeliCoil. Unfortunately, this was thrown away and the trash came this morning! Is there any idea how to determine what size needs to go back in there and where I can buy this at! I just want to drive my car..... :(

Back