I think my bearings are going.

Nevada1906

Deciding to play it safe, I changed my oil today, at the 3000 mile mark. The oil that came out was slightly glittery, like metallic chocolate syrup. I think we all know what that means...

Now the only question concerning an engine rebuild is, "How Long Do I Have?"

I think if I bite the bullet and do the job now, before actual bearing-to-crank-journal contact occurs, I can replace the bearings without having to turn the journals. God willing, verification measurements and fresh bearings should suffice.

That being said, three questions:

1 - Any tips or comments on the above plan?

2 - Might as well check and replace the rod bearings too?

2 - What bearings are recommended for the 3.8SC?

Much obliged for any ideas.

The rod bearings are 351 Cleveland bearings. SC has its own main bearings. Clevite makes both, and makes them very well. How far do you want to go with the rebuild. Let me know if want some suggestions on what to do while you are in there.

New balancer, new rings if the piston bores still show the hash marks. I put new o-ring on the oil filter block, but if yours isn't leaking that might be overkill. Now is also a good time for ARP main studs. not required if you haven't done any upgrades, but they hold the bottom together better so not really a bad thing.

Good point. I've checked the ARP catalog, but they don't list a main set for the 3.8 Ford. Wasn't the recommended method actually to use a head set for a 2.5 Chevy? Are there any others that fit?

I think I should replace the cam bearings as well. They're probably okay, but I don't like "probablies," and since I've got the engine out and apart, why not?

Back