please help

Greg Coleman

I think I might have broken my crank sensor when I changed my harmonic balancer.The car wont start and I have no spark or fuel how ever as I disconnect the drivers side of the dis moduel with the ignition turned on I hear the fuel pump kick in and the fuel rail presurizes and there is fuel presure then shuts off again.If memory serves me correctly I believe an NFG crank sensor automatically shuts off fuel delivery and spark.Is this correct???? Help!:D

Is there a dash light on when cranking the engine to start?

Have you pulled any codes?

If you feel like following a troubleshooting process...

Could be crank sensor or just wiring/connector.

Last edited:
is it a manual, if so when the crank sensor is broke or not working your shift light inside the tach will remain on when cranking, if that light is on when cranking the starter then yep your crank sensor is shot. now if you have an auto tranny im not sure if you'll get the shift light or not, never worked on 1 with an auto

If you had a bad harmonic balancer, it probably destroyed your crank sensor for you when it failed.

Also, I think that the upshift light goes on in automatic transmission cars too. (I fixed my crank sensor only a couple months ago, and I think it was on for me.)

Thanks guys but I am an idot.I forgot to put this plat on the back of the balancer and I believe there is nothing there for the sensor to pick up so there is still no signal for the sensor to pic up.

Thanks guys but I am an idot.I forgot to put this plat on the back of the balancer and I believe there is nothing there for the sensor to pick up so there is still no signal for the sensor to pic up.

You must have forgotten to switch over the reluctor ring. The good news is that you may not have damaged the crank sensor. You have to align that sensor to the reluctor so you don't damage the sensor by hitting against the reluctor. Being that you forgot to switch over the ring, i'm sure you didn't think about checking adjustment either. Good luck with the car!

Chris

Yes, the reluctor ring has to pass through the crank sensor's air gap. Obviously, you can't adjust the ring, so you have to adjust the sensor. Be careful, cause it's sharp and will rip right through the sensor if it hits it.

Well tonight I will pull off the balancer and I will remove the new crank sensor and install the balncer (WITH THE RING THIS TIME) and adjust the sensor.Thanks guys!:D

Back