PDA

View Full Version : Sshs8

Mercutio
10-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Anyone going to the Southern Super Heavyweight Shootout Nov. 8th? I'll be there, but since my SC is too light to qualify I'll be in the Cadillac.

http://www.sshs8.com

Ira R.
10-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Your car isn't 4000lbs with you in it??

Ira

Mercutio
10-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Your car isn't 4000lbs with you in it??

Ira

With a full tank of gas, heavy street wheels and tires it weighed 3,636 last time I checked. I'm not exactly skinny, but I'm also a hell of a lot closer to 200 than 300, not to mention 364!

On the other hand, the one time I weighed the CTS-V it was 3799 with only 3/8 tank of gas.

Ira R.
10-08-2008, 09:17 PM
WoW! Really, only 3600lbs? In stock trim at the track in Old Bridge last year I weighed in at 4003lbs.

Although I guess I am closer to 300 than 200 :D

Ira

Mercutio
10-08-2008, 10:05 PM
WoW! Really, only 3600lbs? In stock trim at the track in Old Bridge last year I weighed in at 4003lbs.

Although I guess I am closer to 300 than 200 :D

Ira

My car has no stereo (saved 30 pounds including speakers, head, amp and sub), aluminum driveshaft (saved 5 pounds), aluminum diff housing (saved 6 pounds), Recaro seats (saved 26 pounds for the pair), Braille battery and mount (saved 17 pounds) and a fiberglass hood (saved 32 pounds) so that's 116 pounds of weight removed from the car. I imagine my Snow pump, double IC, brakes, wheels and tires added some weight, but I'm still way ahead overall. And mine is relatively low on options (cloth non-folding rear seat, no sunroof, no power antenna) so it was fairly light for an SC from the factory.

In autocross trim the car is closer to 3,560. Getting there entails lighter wheels and tires along with removing the rear seat and belts. Also, I try to race with between 3/8 and 1/2 tank of gas, so there's ~40-50 pounds of weight savings just from gas.

But I know this car can get lighter. I've got some aluminum LCAs and spring mounts (and I'm drilling the piss out of those mounts to reduce even more weight) and I'm going to try to modify my front Konis to use a standard 2.5-inch coilover spring instead of the huge stock-style spring. My best guess is that the coilover conversion will save about 15 pounds, and I estimate 20 pounds total savings from the LCA conversion.

Then after all of that stuff I have ideas like a SPEC aluminum flywheel (supposedly 19 pounds of savings), two-piece brake rotors (between 3-5 pounds of savings per rotor depending on the manufacturer), Enkei wheels (6 pounds lighter per corner than my current 95 Cobra race wheels), race-style steering wheel, maybe even custom, thin-wall mandrel bent IC tubes, lighter exhaust, and maybe...just maybe...if I get the car light enough on the nose I'd consider manual steering. Maybe.

Here's the kicker: SCCA just approved a 200-pound weight break in my class for cars running 275 mm or narrower tires--hey, that's me! But since the car is already so far above the current class minimum that there's no way I can make use of that weight break.

Mike Puckett
10-10-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm at 3500 lbs, so I'm too light, too. The Caddy weighs 3760 so it's out, as well.
What class does the SC qualify for in SCCA? My brother got his SCCA license last year and said there weren't any classes for supercharged cars.

Mercutio
10-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Assuming he's talking about SCCA autocrossing and not road racing, the SC is legal for F Stock, E Street Prepared, Street Modified and C Prepared. Which class he's in depends on which modifications he's made.

If he means SCCA Club Racing I don't know enough about that series to offer any good advice, unfortunately.

What Caddy do you have?

Mike Puckett
10-16-2008, 12:04 AM
He and his son are supposed to be building a 4 cyl Datsun for road racing. They run at Sebring and Daytona but so far he's just taken the classes and gotten his license. I've only autocrossed once and I had traction problems, too much power and not enough tires. I bet the Caddy would do better with it's traction control. It's got a great suspension and handles superbly. It's an '04 CTS 3.6L V6 VVT. It's quite peppy and avgs 20 and 28 mpg. I can't get it to launch in a timely manner at the dragstrip though. It's got throttle by wire and I haven't figured it out yet.

Mercutio
10-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Actually traction control is infuriating in an autocross environment. I raced my V at one event, and on one run forgot to disable traction control. The computer just killed all attempts to put down power coming out of a turn. Pitch the car into a corner a wee bit sideways and brakes come on automatically and all sorts of stupid stuff happens. The computer assumes the driver is a complete moron, which is probably smart most of the time, but when autocrossing there's no doubt it slows you down considerably.

Mike Puckett
10-16-2008, 01:03 PM
The V6 CTS is actually quite forgiving with the traction control on. It'll let the rear tires spin a bit before it activates. I drove an '04 GTO with traction control and it would skitter around corners under power, so I know what you mean.