PDA

View Full Version : whats good HP for a Bird

Mont
10-09-2008, 12:02 AM
new to the SC thing and would like to know what HP is good for a "bolt on" car. Im use to a 87 turbo Mustang putting down 620 RWHP but bought this SC for a daily driver.

aplvlydrtybird
10-09-2008, 10:33 AM
maybe 250rwhp with basic bolt ones...maybe, but there needs to be some extensive work done to make good power with these cars...ie different blower, or turbo:)

Micahdogg
10-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Yeah, what he said. Something to keep in mind though, these cars can crank some torque out. At 250 RWHP, it's not uncommon to be well over 350 RWT (at like 2700 rpm). And that kind of torque can make up for a lot of lost HP in the fun factor.

A friend of mine had a blown/stroked 5.0 based motor in his Bird and it made over 600HP, but with the centifugal charger he said it was kind of a lightswitch with the powerband. For driving around on the street, he thought my car at just 275RWHP/375RWT was just as much fun....and a lot easier to manage. I guess the "nothing, nothing, nothing, tires are on fire" powerband got a little old.

neverfastenough
10-09-2008, 01:37 PM
I think the highest numbers for a bonestock longblock are around 280rwhp. I have hit 274rwhp myself with just bolt ons and a ported blower, but numbers really dont mean much. Like Micah said, these cars put the tq down low and make for a fun tire smokeing ride most of the time.