Got some news today...

kst8guy02

Not sure if its good or bad. I am gonna rebuild my 89 super coupe. I go to Pittsburg State University so I decided to have some people in the shop look at it. It was making a squeaking noise, it wouldnt idle right, and it just felt like the crank was off balance.

They looked at it today, there is metal in the oil, and they think the squeak is from a converter bolt that came out somehow and is moving around inside there. They are gonna take off the TC cover and check that but they said that the crank is definately off balance somehow.

Any suggestions on which path to take here. Crate motor from SCP or continue with this one?

if there's metal in the engine oil, its done for. The squeak is prob the rod bearings. Buy a long block or rebuild the one you have.

if there's metal in the engine oil, its done for. The squeak is prob the rod bearings. Buy a long block or rebuild the one you have.

Yeah I already knew that lol. I was asking which route to go, the long block or rebuild this one. :p

The answer to that is going to depend on several things, like your time, abilities and budget...personally I like doing my own things but the warranty on that is not worth a hoot so, give us some more details on your situation regarding the above criteria (don't need personal info :) )and we can give you better advise..................Dan

The answer to that is going to depend on several things, like your time, abilities and budget...personally I like doing my own things but the warranty on that is not worth a hoot so, give us some more details on your situation regarding the above criteria (don't need personal info :) )and we can give you better advise..................Dan

Im an automotive service major but the problem is that the only time I will have to work is from 2:30 to 5:30 on fridays. I might be able to work myself in at other times, but I have class. Its not like I have nothing else to do. As far as money goes, it's not really a problem.

If I were you, I would do it myself. I like that "its done right" feeling. I would get with dave dalke (XR7Dave) and get a set of ported heads, a cam, and a ported blower to start with. Then, check out a FMIC or get with Ken and have him make you a double IC and throw a fan behind it. After that, you are going to need to upgrade your exhaust, tranny, and converter (unless you can do that ASAP). There are several threads here about upgrading a lot of the stuff. Not so much the tranny, but you can make some calls on that. Welcome to the Forum and drop by the midwest section some time. We actually have a pretty good group here in the KC metro area and try to do the whole "outreach" a few times a year.

Chris

If I were you, I would do it myself. I like that "its done right" feeling. I would get with dave dalke (XR7Dave) and get a set of ported heads, a cam, and a ported blower to start with. Then, check out a FMIC or get with Ken and have him make you a double IC and throw a fan behind it. After that, you are going to need to upgrade your exhaust, tranny, and converter (unless you can do that ASAP). There are several threads here about upgrading a lot of the stuff. Not so much the tranny, but you can make some calls on that. Welcome to the Forum and drop by the midwest section some time. We actually have a pretty good group here in the KC metro area and try to do the whole "outreach" a few times a year.

Chris

Yeah, I know what I want to do. Its just a matter of getting it done lol. This is my second super coupe. Im kinda curious to find my old one. But anyways, my brother ~~~~ed this one up and gave it to me for me to fix. When this thing gets running, you'll see me around.

Looks like your time might be your limiting factor---and I second the things seawalkersee said----Dave D is the guy---he has forgotten more about these engines than most of us will ever know, plus his work and advise is priceless..................Dan

karlen fugged it up, huh? i knew it was only a matter of time... atleast he didnt trayslide this one into a curb :rolleyes:

Back