Supercharger oil change question.

Mont

Did a search and really didnt find anything. I just bought a SC and want to change the oil in the charger. How, what oil do i use and how much. Hell Im not even sure if Im suppose to change it or if it's even possible. Nooby questions I know....

***Caution....can blow out fluid if opened when hot or cold - loosen the plug slowly/carefully and listen/wait for any air pressure to dissipate.***

Fill plug is removed using a 3/16" allen wrench. Can be tight, so make sure to get a good purchase and stout tools. Don't fight it or you run the risk of borking out the hole. Tip: Loosen it when the engine is hot, but only fill check when it has cooled down. If you need a replacement plug, it's a 7/16" SAE o-ring'd countersunk plug.

Oil is:
  • Ford P/N:XL-4/.XL3Z-6A828-AA
  • GM P/N: 12345982
  • NYE SYNTHETIC OIL 605

The "fill" plug is located on the right front of the supercharger case, down low. Check the fluid when the car is cold and when parked on a level surface. Proper amount is when the fluid is level with the bottom of the fill plug threads on the inside of the supercharger case.

I went to the local ford dealer for oil and got nothing but blank stares...same thing at a small chev. dealer & two parts houses nearby - finally went to the largest GM dealer in the area and when I asked for supercharger oil, the reply was 'how many'.

It takes 8 ounces if you drain & fill. The GM stuff cost $10 per 4 oz. bottle. Ford wants quite a bit more, if they have any.

To remove any oil sitting in the snout, use the sprayer from an empty bottle of windex, etc. Snake the pick-up tube into the fill plug hole and pump out whatever amount is within reach. The oil smells pretty strong.

Use the new oil to fill, put a new o-ring on the plug if you have one and tighten it down gently. No need to torque it down heavy.

As far as checking/changing, my motto is check it when you first get a car, regardless of what you've been told. After an oil change, healthy/stock s'chargers can supposedly go 100,000 miles before they need it again, with checks every 30,000 miles. If the snout leaks, you should see a skid mark on the hood blanket directly over the pulley.

Attachments

• SC__oil_plug.jpg
    SC__oil_plug.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 948
Last edited:
Back