Need a plan 'C'...

trackjunkie

I had to pull the power steering pump to replace the rusted lines. In attempting to reinstall the pulley onto the pump I found that all the treads in the pump shaft are ripped out (must have been the ford dealer when I got that side worked on 10 years ago).
I thought I would be clever and welded up and insert like the installer tool has out of 2 bolts and JB welded it in there, figuring on just leaving it in there forever after installing the pulley. That was plan B
Well, that did not even come close to working. The JB weld ripped right out.

I know hammering it on is supposed to destroy the pump bearings...
What else should I try besides a whole new pump?

I had to pull the power steering pump to replace the rusted lines. In attempting to reinstall the pulley onto the pump I found that all the treads in the pump shaft are ripped out (must have been the ford dealer when I got that side worked on 10 years ago).
I thought I would be clever and welded up and insert like the installer tool has out of 2 bolts and JB welded it in there, figuring on just leaving it in there forever after installing the pulley. That was plan B
Well, that did not even come close to working. The JB weld ripped right out.

I know hammering it on is supposed to destroy the pump bearings...
What else should I try besides a whole new pump?

Just buy another pump from someone parting out a car.

David

If you're feeling very energetic, you may be able to heli-coil the shaft. But otherwise, I think you will need a new pump.

OR...if you're feeling really energetic (depending on how far the car is from the kitchen) you can heat up the pulley in the oven and rush it out to the car quickly. I tried that one time, but I think I was too slow. You'll still need to hammer it some, but not anything like if both the shaft and pulley were the same temp. Maybe even ice down the shaft before trying....

Just an idea :eek:

i tried putting ice on the shaft and heating the pulley and it worked almost all the way but not enough , but in the end i kept trying to use the tool until it grabbed some metal deep inside and worked. kind of sucks pulling everything out after your done :rolleyes:

Back