RE-Starting car...

NEEDaSCbad

When I turn the car on when its cold it fires right up without a problem. However after I've had it running for a bit and it warms up and then I turn it off and try and restart it within the next 10-15 minutes it doesn't want to. I have to hold down on the gas pedal, more than 5 seconds turns off the injectors, and keep cranking. it will EVENTUALLY start up after cranking for a while. when it does it shoots out white smoke and revs to probably 3500rpms(due to my foot on the gas i'm sure). Why is it doing this? it acts like its flooded.

I talked to Rod the other night and he suggested it might be 1 of 2 things. 1) i have one or more leaky injectors that are leaking into my cyclinder(s). 2) i have a bad fuel pressure regulator thats building too much pressure up behind the injectors and causing it to dump too much fuel into the cyclinder when i'm first cranking. Sorry Rod if this isn't what you said, just how i understood it, correct me if i'm wrong.

Any help is appreciated.

Seth

Might want to check the voltage at the TPS - I think .97 is the target value. Also check the ECT.

Running the codes could be a big step towards determining the root cause.

Last edited:
i'm thinking tps... i had the same problem with my 94, thought it was the IAC because it would start with your foot on the gas... but it eventually threw a TPS code. i replaced it, and no problems. :)

I had a 90 XR7 that was acting that way when I sold it. The new owner and XR7 Dave got it straightened out. I believe Dave said it was a bad cam sensor. You might want to touch base with him and confirm. If that's the case, it's an easy fix.

JD

Back