PDA

View Full Version : Test & Tune Oct. 18th(Split from Oct. 11th )

fastsc92
10-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Since the other track day was cancelled we'll start a new thread.

Mike says he's going. Anyone else? Sat. Oct. 18th 8am

Jay
603-264-7252

Mikessupercoupe
10-15-2008, 07:31 AM
I'm trying to go every weekend until they close which is friday 31st. Now what about Brian and Ricardo? Can you guys make it? Be nice to have a few SC's up there.:D

SCrazy
10-15-2008, 08:10 AM
Can't do it this weekend. May be able to sneak in a street night next week though.

fastsc92
10-15-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm trying to go every weekend until they close which is friday 31st.

The 18th and 19th are the last test and tune events this years; no more weekend events. Anything from here-on out must be either a Wed. or Friday Night. I'm aiming for next Friday as well.

ricardoa1
10-15-2008, 10:26 AM
I can probably make it, but I am having a hard time with my shiftlight.

I also gotta do some other things to the car. I want to make several passes off the nitrous for now and data log my runs.

I have to balance the racing tires, still finish wiring my line locks, dam n shiftlight and tap into the TPS 5V feed for the data logger. I only have nights to do this, and neighbors complain when I run the car at night. I also want to rewire up the fuel pump and move the nitrous nozzle behind the ACT sensor, but will be ok if I dont get to it. I also

Whats the time you guys are arriving and leaving?

fastsc92
10-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Who need neighbors...mine already hate me:p

The gates open at 8, and I plan on getting there at 8. By the time you park and get teched in, it'll be a while. Plus the window for test and tune only happens like once an hour, typically more in the morning.

Mikessupercoupe
10-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Nice! Glad to see you're coming Ricardo. Anyone else?:D

Mike

fastsc92
10-15-2008, 03:16 PM
weather looks good....sunny and a high of 55:)

Just wish I had some tires for my skinnies. Guess they'll have to wait until next season...

bigpoppa822
10-15-2008, 04:06 PM
I'll see if I can make it, my SC is done for the winter though, I grenaded the rear end.

fastsc92
10-15-2008, 04:39 PM
I'll see if I can make it, my SC is done for the winter though, I grenaded the rear end.

Just weld the spider gears.....:eek:

Mikessupercoupe
10-15-2008, 05:25 PM

Only take an hour to swap out. What gears did you have in there?

bigpoppa822
10-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Just weld the spider gears.....:eek:

Stupid me took it for a drive and REALLY grenaded the rear end.

Mike, I had 2.73s in there but Jay gave me a set of Richmond 3.27's I'm going to swap in.

Mikessupercoupe
10-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Stupid me took it for a drive and REALLY grenaded the rear end.

Mike, I had 2.73s in there but Jay gave me a set of Richmond 3.27's I'm going to swap in.

That ought to wake that baby up some. OH, I thought you had another whole unit to swap in. My bad. Were you running slicks last time? It makes launches tough on the car with those gears.:D

Mike

fastsc92
10-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Those aren't richmonds....they are OEM ford gears. They are just in the richmond box. Also, doesn't use those crush sleeves, they are used.

My slicks made his car hook, but didn't do too well with the spiders..:rolleyes:

Mikessupercoupe
10-17-2008, 10:11 PM
All loaded up and ready to go. Can't wait. I plan on being there around 8

What time you guys planning to head out?:D

fastsc92
10-18-2008, 12:28 AM
well...it's 12:30am right now and I still haven't started to tune yet:eek:.....took forever to get my bottle filled.

I was having trouble getting my software to write to my tuner card but it looks like its working now. I'll see what I can do in a few hours and grab a few more for sleep. I'm aiming for 8. I don't think racing starts until 10, and tech isn't until 9???

Either way see you guys up there

603-264-7252 Jay

Mikessupercoupe
10-18-2008, 05:29 AM
Hope everything worked oiut for you. I'll be leaving around 6-630a. Gonna get some racing fuel this time out. See you up there.

Mike:D 781 351 9741

90blkbrd
10-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Well......how did everyone do?

fastsc92
10-18-2008, 11:41 PM

My clutch did not like the launch with the 100 shot:o

On the drive home it effectively puked its' gutts out into little pieces....with a little help from me.:rolleyes:

Time for a spec stage 3, aluminum flywheel, custom aluminum driveshaft...

And some paint for christ's sake!

ricardoa1
10-19-2008, 12:01 PM
I want my car to explode, and not leave a trace of it. I need to stop the bleeding somehow.

Mike sorry I didnt say by last night. After my pass I was really angry, Hope you had fun, your car seems to be very consistent, and thats great. Now lets take out the interior and see what that does.

Jay thanks for waiting that late. Dont put in a spec, get a dual friction. I dont want tranny parts exploding from your car.

Ira R.
10-19-2008, 12:40 PM
I want my car to explode, and not leave a trace of it. I need to stop the bleeding somehow.

Mike sorry I didnt say by last night. After my pass I was really angry, Hope you had fun, your car seems to be very consistent, and thats great. Now lets take out the interior and see what that does.

Sounds like you didn't have any fun last night Ricardo. Sorry to hear that. So this is now a "keep your chin up" speech and maybe it's a good thing that winter fast approaches. It will give you some time to stop, sit back and come up with a plan to sort through all of this. I know you've been pretty upset with the car the last few months but that's no reason to give up. It is a very good reason though why now may be the best time to reflect on exactly what you want from the car and how best to approach getting it there.

The car has so much potential maybe you're just asking it to be too many things. Maybe it's time to sit down, make a list, and review it with a select few friends. Long posts here about what everyone thinks usually just get you conflicting opinions. Noone knows what you want but you.

And of course if there is anything I can do just give me a shout. Hell I can sell you the tee shirt if you want one too.

Ira

fastsc92
10-19-2008, 02:23 PM
I had a spare clutch disk so I tossed that in last night. At least I can move it around now, but the other one basically flung apart last night. I'm thinking spec stage 3+.

ricardoa1
10-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Jay that was fast.

Ira, All i want is more power, the car is an excellent street car, but lacks HP for long highway pulls. I mostly had a problem with the track last night, terrible night for Test and Tune. On one pass I was going to make the cars battery died from waiting in the lanes for too long and trying to keep the bottle pressure high with the heater. I got pulled with a strap out the lanes, I was not happy. By then Laptop battery was drained by then, the Wideband overheated several times. And when I able to make the pass, the car was super rich on the nitrous.... I deciced to turn it off since it was bucking..... Then the gauge goes super lean 13.5. and that was it for the whole day. One pass and one attempted pass.

Oh and my lower control arm bolts and nuts came loose at the spindle, thank god I noticed it while changing tires when I got there. The car wants to kill me dont you see... And the ebrake cable retainer I made for the super wide wheels broke on so tha cable made a nice ridge on the inside of the wheels.

I spent 40 bux on race gas. and 30 to race and make 1 stupid pass.
So i did not have alot of fun and my walet is empty. :( But i did enjoy hangin out with other scrs. But its the life of owning an sc I guess.

Mikessupercoupe
10-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Jay sorry about the clutch. I don't know much about the spec stage 3 clutch but I like my centerforce df. I've raced with it maybe 4 seasons, but you probably know better than I do. It was good to meet you and hope to see you up there again. You're pretty fast twisting wrenches. You changed that clutch already. Break it in and come back up Friday.:D

Ricardo, sorry to hear about your trouble. Maybe that underdrive pulley on the alternator with the little battery ain't helping. I like that car of yours so I don't want it to explode. You'll be alright once you get the couple of issues fixed. I got knocked out by a 11 sec Cobra so after I went in the test and tune lane for one more run. That was fun, I raced a 9 or 10 sec Monte Carlo with a real cocky driver and beat him. lol I don't know what happened to him but by the time I got to the finish line he blew by me like I was standing still, but it was too late. It was good to see you anyway. I'm going up friday I think, so if you get your car straightened out come on up. I may take the seats out and empty my trunk this time.:D It sucks that I waited until the end of the year to get my butt to the track, but its been fun anyway.

take care,
Mike

Mikessupercoupe
10-19-2008, 05:40 PM

I ran 5 times 12.5 12.4 12.3 12.3 12.3 . I need help with my launch and shifting points but I'm not missing third gear anymore. The car is totally different from last year with the new gears, cam and stuff. I need more practice but I'll get it.:D

Mike

fastsc92
10-19-2008, 06:13 PM
The clutch disk that I tossed in there was an old one that I took out when the tranny blew a few years back. It's actually almost new, but it's still a stock one. I just put in the disk and left the other pressure plate.

I've dropped that tranny so many times it comes out like butter. The thing that stinks now that I have the longtubes is that I have to take those out as well to drop the tranny.:rolleyes:

It was done in about 5 hours from start to finish, and it's just temp so that I can drive it around if needed for the body shop or whatever.

I've heard mixed opinions on the CF clutches. I was looking at the spec clutches and their stage 3 seems too aggressive, but their stage 3+ says its more streetable, and holds more power. The CF clutch is going to cost close to 400 once I toss in the throw-out bearing, and the spec isn't much more.

If that CF smokes then I'd have to do another clutch and another $400. I want the clutch to be bullit-proof, which is why I'm leaning towards the spec. The next thing is to break axle(still stock) and u-joints and maybe a tranny here and there;). But it may be better than dealing with a slipping clutch and replacing that.

The last time I went to the dyno, which was 5 years ago, it layed down 426ftlb at the wheels on a 65shot. The car has come a LONG way since then, and I'm spraying 75 or 100 hp now. I'd expect the torque to be somewhere in the 500ftlb range, and I need something that's going to hold up.

XR7 Dave
10-19-2008, 07:45 PM
I don't know how it is that you think that replacing transmission parts is less of a hassle than replacing a clutch. And a CF is not $400 anyway, it's not like you need a TO bearing every year....

The CF is marginal at your power levels but if broken in properly and not abused it will not only hold up but will also save driveline parts. It's going to be a lot cheaper to replace a clutch every now and then compared to transmissions, axles, and driveshafts.

I have Gary Kuhn's old CF clutch sitting here and plan to use it in my next build. It shows minimal wear. Gary ran his car 100's of passes on a 125hp shot making around 500ftlbs and the clutch still looks fine.

Good luck either way.

fastsc92
10-19-2008, 08:18 PM
I don't know how it is that you think that replacing transmission parts is less of a hassle than replacing a clutch. And a CF is not $400 anyway, it's not like you need a TO bearing every year....

The CF is marginal at your power levels but if broken in properly and not abused it will not only hold up but will also save driveline parts. It's going to be a lot cheaper to replace a clutch every now and then compared to transmissions, axles, and driveshafts.

I have Gary Kuhn's old CF clutch sitting here and plan to use it in my next build. It shows minimal wear. Gary ran his car 100's of passes on a 125hp shot making around 500ftlbs and the clutch still looks fine.

Good luck either way.

I thought that the CF uses a special TO bearing, which doesn't come with the kit. I'm trying to dig up the part number for the CF system now.

I agree that clutches are cheaper and easier than driveline parts, but I want something that's going to hold up to multiple events at the track and hard street driving. The car may not be super fast in its current state, but I plan to make it a solid low 11 sec car in the near future and I want to buy a clutch in prep. for that. I'm still considering both brands at the momment.

Thanks for your input Dave

Ira R.
10-19-2008, 08:36 PM
I ran 5 times 12.5 12.4 12.3 12.3 12.3 . I need help with my launch and shifting points but I'm not missing third gear anymore. The car is totally different from last year with the new gears, cam and stuff. I need more practice but I'll get it.:D

Mike

Heck of a night Mike!! WoW! That's much better then when I last saw the car. And how much more consistent could you be! So what gears did you end up going with??

Ira

XR7 Dave
10-19-2008, 09:33 PM
I thought that the CF uses a special TO bearing, which doesn't come with the kit. I'm trying to dig up the part number for the CF system now.

I agree that clutches are cheaper and easier than driveline parts, but I want something that's going to hold up to multiple events at the track and hard street driving. The car may not be super fast in its current state, but I plan to make it a solid low 11 sec car in the near future and I want to buy a clutch in prep. for that. I'm still considering both brands at the momment.

Thanks for your input Dave

It uses a standard TO bearing. What happened to yours? Did your burn up the flywheel/pp or did the clutch material just disintegrate?

XR7 Dave
10-19-2008, 09:34 PM
I ran 5 times 12.5 12.4 12.3 12.3 12.3 .

Mike Give us some details. 60 ft, mph, you know, facts and stuff. :cool:

Mikessupercoupe
10-19-2008, 10:59 PM
These are a couple

R/T -- .713 .403 .481
60' -- 1.777 1.787 1.786
330 -- 5.167 5.156 5.103
1/8 -- 8.054 8.027 7.938
MPH-- 86.81 85.35 88.03
1000--10.490 10.453 10.307
1/4 -- 12.55 12.473 12.335
MPH--109.80 110.60 112.19

This was three of em

Mike

Mikessupercoupe
10-20-2008, 07:10 AM
Heck of a night Mike!! WoW! That's much better then when I last saw the car. And how much more consistent could you be! So what gears did you end up going with??

Ira

I have 308's in there now. Its just different from the 355's that were in there last year. Everything is different and I just need to get use to it. Running the car once or twice a year isn't making it. I just need more practice.

Mike:D

fastsc92
10-20-2008, 07:19 AM
It uses a standard TO bearing. What happened to yours? Did your burn up the flywheel/pp or did the clutch material just disintegrate?

Well first launch on just the motor it felt kinda funny, but I just assumed it was light tire spin. Once I shifted to 3rd it also felt funky, but wasn't too bad. At the time I just figured it was something else.

Next pass I tossed what I thought was a 100 shot, but the jet was actually a 75, and the clutch didn't stand a chance. Boiled it in 1st, and it felt like tire spin, so I shifted to 2nd, boiled that gear in a blink of an eye, grabbed third and that's when it clicked that the clutch was done.

I shut it down and coasted to the line (20.47 et:p). This all happened before the 330ft mark.:o After that it was real hard to drive, as it was just slipping. Once it cooled down it was better, but on the way home I gave it one last hoorah and it pucked it's guts into a bunch of little fiber peices.

The disk was junk, and the pressureplate/flywheel was glazed pretty good but not destroyed. I cleaned it up the best I could and put in that old stocker so I can move it around if needed.

Right now, my funds are focused on paint and body work, and the drivetrain and most likely a motor will be going in before the spring. I'm tempted to see how much this 100% stock bottom end will take before it goes. But I figure now might be the best time to build it up. The goal for the car is to run 11.0's all day. I think that should be possible if I have something well built and run a 65-75 jet of nitrous.

SCrazy
10-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Ricardo, Jay, Mike......Sure wish I could've made it up.
Maybe next time.

Sounds like at least Mike had a solid day.

XR7 Dave
10-20-2008, 08:41 AM
If the clutch is a few years old CF had some problems with the pucks delaminating from the disc a few years back. The same thing happened to Mike Puckett and I. I just replaced the disc and it's still going strong. I wouldn't have known there was anything wrong other than I pulled the motor for other reasons and saw the missing pucks. I hadn't noticed any slippage on slicks at 400+ rwhp.

I would be interested in trying a dual puck style disc on the standard CF PP. IMO the design of the CF PP (which is the OE style with heavier springs) is significantly superior to the style of PP that Spec uses.

XR7 Dave
10-20-2008, 08:45 AM
These are a couple

R/T -- .713 .403 .481
60' -- 1.777 1.787 1.786
330 -- 5.167 5.156 5.103
1/8 -- 8.054 8.027 7.938
MPH-- 86.81 85.35 88.03
1000--10.490 10.453 10.307
1/4 -- 12.55 12.473 12.335
MPH--109.80 110.60 112.19

This was three of em

Mike

What was the improvement as the night went on? 60fts stayed the same but it was definitely improving as you went down the track... Need to be looking for 1.6x 60 fts.... :)

fastsc92
10-20-2008, 08:47 AM
If the clutch is a few years old CF had some problems with the pucks delaminating from the disc a few years back. The same thing happened to Mike Puckett and I. I just replaced the disc and it's still going strong. I wouldn't have known there was anything wrong other than I pulled the motor for other reasons and saw the missing pucks. I hadn't noticed any slippage on slicks at 400+ rwhp.

I would be interested in trying a dual puck style disc on the standard CF PP. IMO the design of the CF PP (which is the OE style with heavier springs) is significantly superior to the style of PP that Spec uses.

Are you talking about the CF I, CF II, or the DF pressure plate? I may be interested in learning more about the DF package that they offer.

XR7 Dave
10-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Are you talking about the CF I, CF II, or the DF pressure plate? I may be interested in learning more about the DF package that they offer.
All the ones I've used have been the DF.

fastsc92
10-20-2008, 09:49 AM
All the ones I've used have been the DF.

I may look into this then, and might go with an 11.5" disk and flywheel for more clamping area.

ricardoa1
10-20-2008, 10:28 AM
I may look into this then, and might go with an 11.5" disk and flywheel for more clamping area.

11.5" does not come in Dual Friction form. Only the centerforce II carries them. You will also need the 11.5" flywheels from spec if you buy that from them. Mcleod has them in 11.5" only option but you can bolt on the smaller clutch on it with no issues. See if you can work something out with Damon. he is dropping the tranny and he hates his new aluminum flywheel I sold him. Maybe you can find him a stock flywheel and you get his alum for whatever he charges you. Just not more then what I paid :p.

fastsc92
10-20-2008, 10:49 AM
11.5" does not come in Dual Friction form. Only the centerforce II carries them. You will also need the 11.5" flywheels from spec if you buy that from them. Mcleod has them in 11.5" only option but you can bolt on the smaller clutch on it with no issues. See if you can work something out with Damon. he is dropping the tranny and he hates his new aluminum flywheel I sold him. Maybe you can find him a stock flywheel and you get his alum for whatever he charges you. Just not more then what I paid :p.

Is that what the 94-95 cars are using? the 11" kit? Brian said he has an 11.5", maybe I'll look into that.

I wonder why he hates the flywheel?

ricardoa1
10-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Is that what the 94-95 cars are using? the 11" kit? Brian said he has an 11.5", maybe I'll look into that.

Yeah the 94-95s use the larger clutch. I have a CenterForce II in my car. But I am afraid its gonna toast one of these days. Damon is Damon, his reasoning for hating it is loss momentum making his car hard to drive at low RPMS, driving uphills and and taking off or what not. Him and Dalke went at it one time about the bennefits of it. But whatever. I have a Mcleod sitting in my garage that will go back in the car, it was taken out to eliminate the posibility that it was causing my starter to hang up on it and not starting the car, but it ended up being my alarm, so we hope :o .

Crash00527
10-20-2008, 06:04 PM
that sux:(

Mikessupercoupe
10-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Ricardo, Jay, Mike......Sure wish I could've made it up.
Maybe next time.

Sounds like at least Mike had a solid day.

Brian,

Yea missed you there. I'm going up next Friday so if you're up to it come on up. Sucks its the end of the year.

Rob m
10-20-2008, 08:12 PM

Jay thanks for waiting that late. Dont put in a spec, get a dual friction. I dont want tranny parts exploding from your car.

I can make it disappear for you if you want. . . i have a nice place in Vermont for it any time you decide. I will even let you tell everybody it exploded. Call it stolen for all I care. . . . I flippin love your car more than my own

ricardoa1
10-21-2008, 08:13 AM
I can make it disappear for you if you want. . . i have a nice place in Vermont for it any time you decide. I will even let you tell everybody it exploded. Call it stolen for all I care. . . . I flippin love your car more than my own

Thanks Ill keep that in mind. :)

Mikessupercoupe
10-21-2008, 08:17 AM

Ira

I got those 308's in there now. I ran 12.4, 12.7 last year and Dave ran a 12.3 against Anthony in my car. The car has more in it I just need to figure out how to get it there.

ELSC
10-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Consistent numbers Mike, I bet you wish it was the beginning of the season.

Mikessupercoupe
10-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Consistent numbers Mike, I bet you wish it was the beginning of the season.

Whats up Brian? Yea I missed the whole season and now I'm kicking myself but I'll just be ready for next spring. This time I won't wait. I still need to run the Red one from Cali but I want to do a couple of things to that one before I run it too hard.

ricardoa1
10-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Mike, I know someone that wants that Red Cali car, you selling it anytime soon? :D

fastsc92
10-21-2008, 02:02 PM
OOOOOOOO look what I found....:cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/fastsc92/1018DSC_3111.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/fastsc92/1018DSC_3052.jpg

Mikessupercoupe
10-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Mike, I know someone that wants that Red Cali car, you selling it anytime soon? :D

Maybe, I wanted to run it but I don't have slicks for that are on mustang rims, so I'll probably wait until next year.

Mikessupercoupe
10-21-2008, 06:01 PM
OOOOOOOO look what I found....:cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/fastsc92/1018DSC_3111.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/fastsc92/1018DSC_3052.jpg

I was looking last night and I couldn't find mine but I found yours. What page was it on? I like those pictures.
Your bumper is just about on the track. nice!

ricardoa1
10-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Jay, you my friend are a real drag racer. No wonder you get great 60fts. Look at the lift on that car.

You gonna have to drive my car next time out.

fastsc92
10-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Jay, you my friend are a real drag racer. No wonder you get great 60fts. Look at the lift on that car.

You gonna have to drive my car next time out.

At one time I used to pull 1.6x 60' times...now I can only muster high 1.8's. I think the clutch had a lot to do with it. Over the winter that'll be fixed (Looking at the stage 3+ even if it does break driveline parts...) and I'm most likely going to put in a two step to help with the launches.

But I have to stay focused....PAINT COMES FIRST!! I'm getting a quote next week so maybe it'll be in the shop as early as Dec.

Mike that picture of you is under the outlaw page. Looks like the only one. When the guy took mine he just finished helping put out the camaro on fire in the right lane:p

Maybe if I had my skinnies on the fronts I could have lifted a tire. Those cobra's weigh about 53lb's each. The skinnies...only 24lb each

Mikessupercoupe
10-21-2008, 07:00 PM

Jay,

I was mistaken about the clutch I have a Centerforce II 11.5 in. I have another one in storage that is the DF, just in case.

Mike

ricardoa1
10-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Jay,

I was mistaken about the clutch I have a Centerforce II 11.5 in. I have another one in storage that is the DF, just in case.

Mike

Mike how many passes have you made on this clutch. I am afraid that its going to blow up on mine. If yours is holding up maybe I should stop my worries and just put on my alum flywheel back on and not spend the money on a DF.

Mikessupercoupe
10-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Mike how many passes have you made on this clutch. I am afraid that its going to blow up on mine. If yours is holding up maybe I should stop my worries and just put on my alum flywheel back on and not spend the money on a DF.

I've driven the car for five years with this clutch and raced 4 seasons but not a lot. I've probably made 40 passes. I haven't raced a lot but I plan on that changing. I also have the aluminum flywheel from Gary Kuhn. Don't worry be happy! Dave has had the transmission out a couple of times rebuilding my tranny and the clutch still looked good.:D

Mike

90blkbrd
10-21-2008, 08:44 PM

He already knows I want the red car. :)