no start at first..

pro street rich

This one will make you think, I got a 90 sc[what else] and of late it is acting up when you go to start it. Here is what's going on. If you start it cold, or let it sit for about 30 minutes it will fire right up. Now go to the gas station and try to restart it right away it won't crank. You can hold the key in the start location and if you pump the brake pedel it will start after you push it a few times. I know it has to do with the interlock, but has anyone else had this happen? If so what did you have to change. I checked the brake lights and they are on so there should be power, but not to the starter. I can still drive the car, but I know it is going to fail one of these days. Just looking for some ideas.......Rich

Some owners have chosen to bypass the safety...

I'd fix it, but that's just MHO. Don't ignore the transmission shifter 'Park' lockout as a suspect as well.

Might pay to simply inspect the ignition switch, down on the right side of the column, which seems to be the #1 culprit.

Last edited:
reread what I posted...

Some owners have chosen to bypass the safety...

I'd fix it, but that's just MHO. Don't ignore the transmission shifter 'Park' lockout as a suspect as well.

Might pay to simply inspect the ignition switch, down on the right side of the column, which seems to be the #1 culprit.

The only thing I do to get it to start is pump the brake pedel. This tells me that it is in that system. I keep the key turned all the way and keep pumping the brakes till it starts.........Rich

reread what I suggested...

>keep pumping the brakes till it starts...

Which can rock the car and jar components in the dash, including an ignition switch that has separated, etc. Makes sense to me if you haven't pinpointed the exact issue yet and it isn't the brake lockout. Just a suggestion.

Good luck with your car :)

Last edited:
thanks for your ideas

>keep pumping the brakes till it starts...

Which can rock the car and jar components in the dash, including an ignition switch that has separated, etc. Makes sense to me if you haven't pinpointed the exact issue yet and it isn't the brake lockout. Just a suggestion.

Good luck with your car :)

If I was a 400 pound guy this might work, but that's not the deal. Will keep looking for the right answer....Rich

i still think it is the boo switch. i have had to do it on 2 90 autos for the same resons. FYI boo switch is only on 90 autos:rolleyes:

Back