Harmonic Balancer

mduralia

Ok guys. My girl has 142K on her and it's time for some repairs:

Motor Mounts
Transmission Mount & Bushings
PowerSteering Bushings
Differential Gasket

2 questions:

1. Anything special for the Differential Gasket replacement?
2. How important is the Harmonic balancer replacement (would put me a BIT over budget)?

Thanks!

Replace the harmonic balancer now before it costs you an a$$ load of money when it breaks and takes out the crank sensor, and probably the crank. If the rubber seal between the inner and outer part of the balancer has cracks in it, It is junk. There are cheaper alternatives to the BHJ (DamperDoctors.com) but I would definately suggest a new balancer.

For the differential I use High torque rtv (silver color) to seal it.

I think this is the one you want...
http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DD&Product_Code=FOR3.81

94-95 #F4SZ 6B321 B W/SENSOR ALUMINUM HUB

And on Ford website it matches to your car
F4SZ6B321A

Shows to fit:
F4SZ6B321A $382.78 $0.00 $281.35
Engine - Crankshaft & bearings - Vibration damper
Vibration damper, cougar, thunderbird, w/supercharger - 3.8l 1994 - 1995

Although I'm not sure of the last A or B, but the websites just look like it is just a superseded part number, same part.

Good luck

Last edited:
Change the balancer now in my opinion.With my cars you're living on borrowed time as it is.Both of mine broke at just over 100k.One broke the bolt off inside the end of the crank and BOTH ruined the cranksensor.It's definitely one of the more necessary mods from my personal experience.
i see a link for a stock style balancer in the post before this one.I don't think I'd be willing to pay much for a stock style balancer.It's a little more than 1/2 the price of a BHJ ,but, the peace of mind from having a real balancer vs. the stock peice of s~~t the cars come with is worth alot more than... that too me atleast.

Last edited:
Back