Nitrous.....5 years in the making and counting.

ricardoa1

Well as some of you know, from my story telling skills :cool:, I ran the nitrous for the shootout with some very weird results. Getting a 125HP increase from a 65shot of nitrous although it was a cool thing to see is not something I want be doing all the time. I attribute the huge gains from injecting the nitrous before the ACT sensor. I was not able to dial in a good tune until I we dumbed down the nitrous jet and and put a stupid big fuel jet. And still fuel pump did not give me enough pressure.

Others will disagree at this before ACT notion but most sucessful nitrous setups, I mean successful in that it motor survives for more then one season, are injecting after the ACT sensor. It could be coincedence but, I want to be safe, so I will move the jets after this said sensor. Now comes my question, if I run it after the ACT the results will be different and the huge fuel and small nitrous jet will provide a different outcome. Requiring a different tune altoghether and recalibrating the jets.

So if I decide to turn on the bottle tomorow at the track what do you think I should see happening?

Shooting the nitrous before the ACT sensor, the EEC would react to the sudden temperature drop.

If your tune was dialed in for that, then I would venture to caution you and to take it easy until you know you've adjusted your fuel accordingly.

Just my thinking any who, and I would volunteer I could be wrong.

Frit

do you have two tunes? one for nitrous and one without it?

If you move the nozzle, just keep an eye on your wideband. I'd run the normal jets and see what that gives you.

I would think that the nitrous tune (if you have one), isn't much different than the street tune. When I run a nitrous tune, I usually only change the fuel table a little and retard the timing a little. Other parameters really shouldn't have to be changed if the tune was right in the first place. You'll be able to compare the two files and see if any drastic changes were made in that file when they tuned it on the dyno. Bring your laptop and we can make small tweaks if need be.

The only difference is that with it injecting before the ACT you will end up with more timing which is probably what happened at the Shootout. And no, that probably isn't safe. Just change the jet location.

Ive have been running a 100 shot before the sensor with a diablo chip and 2 tunes one for n2o one without for about 2 years now without a problem. Only reason before the sensor is because i just havent go around to relocating it. when I move to 125 wet I will be relocating it to after the sensor. I also run a wideband and do keep an eye on afr.

Back